Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 PM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » Public Stock Forums » Trend Spotting » Unemployment - is it a lagging indicator?

Old 05-09-2009, 05:43 AM   Nav to Top  #1
AndyB
Pro Charting Wannabe

Favorites: $SPX GGG.L ARSLF
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unemployment - is it a lagging indicator?

All over the place I hear "Unemployment is a lagging indicator!". This is the mainstay of the bull case, especially this week where non-farm payrolls came in at -500k. Bulls are basically saying that since unemployment ticked up, and this is a lagging indicator, it shows recovery is underway and the markets will now follow.

-500k jobs lost in a month? Better than expected? BUY!

Anyway here's a little research I've done to demonstrate that unemployment is a leading indicator and in the previous bear market, unemployment bottomed about a year before the stock market did.

So if we are following this same scale, if unemployment continues to tick up, in our current bear market we're at the late 2002 stage, meaning after this bull run, which could last anywhere from 6 months to a year or so, there will be new lows in 2010-2011.

Be careful all and don't necessarily think the worst is behind us. The US economy is 70% dependant on consumer spending, credit and mortgages, which unemployed people just can't pay. This means there is likely more pain in the offing for the markets to come.

GLTA

I'm using a stoploss at my break-even on SFEG. Production is delayed.

Last edited by AndyB; 05-09-2009 at 06:11 AM..
AndyB is offline   3 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:11 AM   Nav to Top  #2
Miles
Seeking Bottoms

Favorites: LVS, FAS/FAZ, POT
Miles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond repute
Did I help?
Send a message via AIM to Miles Send a message via Skype™ to Miles

Yeah I mean it sounds like chicken little sometimes but we can't deny that mass unemployment (10%+) + hyperinflation + housing bubble + everything else = rough waters ahead. Lagging or not I think sideways action on the Jobs reports are in order for the rest of this year and into 2010.

Hang on to your hats.
Please note that all information on securities I provide is merely my own opinion and any advice given is purely speculative and should not under any circumstances be considered investment advice. You alone are solely responsible for determining whether any investment, security or strategy, or any other product or service, is appropriate or suitable for you based on your investment objectives and personal and financial situation.
Miles is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:18 PM   Nav to Top  #3
pdtpatrick
Super Moderator

Favorites: RIMM, TTM, ANR
pdtpatrick has much to be proud ofpdtpatrick has much to be proud ofpdtpatrick has much to be proud ofpdtpatrick has much to be proud ofpdtpatrick has much to be proud ofpdtpatrick has much to be proud ofpdtpatrick has much to be proud ofpdtpatrick has much to be proud ofpdtpatrick has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to pdtpatrick Send a message via Yahoo to pdtpatrick Send a message via Skype™ to pdtpatrick
Default Great Report

Thanks sir.
pdtpatrick is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote