Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 AM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » General Forums » Trading Questions » noob question - How to detect is news if affecting a stock?

Old 10-30-2016, 09:49 AM   Nav to Top  #1
jamie3000
Junior Trader

Favorites: bfd,fy,fht
jamie3000 is on a distinguished road
Default noob question - How to detect is news if affecting a stock?

Hi Guys,

First post so go easy please

I'm an experienced software developer with some time on my hands now and I'm looking to create a free system that will detect stock movements and then check pretty much every news source that can be checked online for news regarding this company. So that's blogs, social media, news websites etc. With the aim of getting this information to the user as quickly as possible.

At the moment I'm not sure whats the best way to detect that something might be effecting a stock, I was going to go with just the price of the stock but then I thought some news may be interpreted as good to some and bad to others so the price might not actually change much. Then I thought of checking the volume of the stock over a short interval. I saw some websites do offer this but it appears they don't show "out of hours" trading volume. Is that correct? If not can someone point me in the direction of one that does?

What stats would you guys recommend looking at to detect "interest/purchases" and where is the best place to source these stats/figures?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
jamie3000 is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote