Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:07 AM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » General Forums » Traders Lounge » A/V presentation - "Relative Strength and Portfolio Management"

Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 PM   Nav to Top  #1
Strohem
VIP Trader

Strohem is a name known to allStrohem is a name known to allStrohem is a name known to allStrohem is a name known to allStrohem is a name known to allStrohem is a name known to all
Default A/V presentation - "Relative Strength and Portfolio Management"

From the Market Technicians Association (MTA):

http://media.mta.org/videos/2011/edu...es/john-lewis/

Discussion and presentation on Relative Strength as a return factor.

60 minutes in length, but invaluable for individual or professional, alike. I encourage anyone who trades/invests to view/listen - especially those in the business (or aspiring to be). Your clients will thank you. YOU will thank you.

I'm a bit biased since 1) I was mentored by an MTA member on portfolio construction and management - including RS studies, and 2) the results speak for themselves over the past two decades (and more)... up and down markets.

(I'm also a fanboy of Wyckoff who, along with Chestnutt and Levy, is mentioned at the beginning.)

S
Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 PM   Nav to Top  #2
Strohem
VIP Trader

Strohem is a name known to allStrohem is a name known to allStrohem is a name known to allStrohem is a name known to allStrohem is a name known to allStrohem is a name known to all
Default "Value works, but relative strength rocks."

I couldn't pass up posting this:

A couple snippets -

..."Why are value investors always so shocked by the strong performance of relative strength methods? I think there are two major reasons: 1) the value cult has drowned out discussion of other successful return factors, and 2) the reason for strong momentum is poorly understood.

The value cult drowns out other schools of investing, but it developed its following largely by historical accident."

And,

..."In other words, the popular image of Warren Buffett as a buy-and-hold value investor is completely false. I’m not bashing here—Warren Buffett is clearly a great investor, and while he did take Ben Graham’s course at Columbia, much of his success is due to his investment flexibility, not some imaginary ability to identify value stocks and then hold them forever."

(I was blown away when I first learned this [ ^^^ ] in the early 90's, and it was a juicy secret to keep to myself when I heard others extol the virtues of investing like Buffett!! How else can one account for the alpha BRK generated based on owning nothing but - at the time - 30 or 40 blue-chip stocks in a holding company?)

But wait! There's more!

..."Lots of practioner and academic studies show this exact pattern: if you hold strong assets and ruthlessly replace assets that become weak, the portfolios do very well. There’s really no mystery to it."

Article here:

http://systematicrelativestrength.co...keptics-again/
Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM   Nav to Top  #3
Miles
Seeking Bottoms

Favorites: LVS, FAS/FAZ, POT
Miles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond repute
Did I help?
Send a message via AIM to Miles Send a message via Skype™ to Miles

"Lots of practioner and academic studies show this exact pattern: if you hold strong assets and ruthlessly replace assets that become weak, the portfolios do very well. There’s really no mystery to it."
Encouraging
Please note that all information on securities I provide is merely my own opinion and any advice given is purely speculative and should not under any circumstances be considered investment advice. You alone are solely responsible for determining whether any investment, security or strategy, or any other product or service, is appropriate or suitable for you based on your investment objectives and personal and financial situation.
Miles is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote