Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » General Forums » Traders Lounge » Tools And Stuff

Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 AM   Nav to Top  #1
BuffaloBull
VIP Trader

Favorites: SPNG
BuffaloBull is a splendid one to beholdBuffaloBull is a splendid one to beholdBuffaloBull is a splendid one to beholdBuffaloBull is a splendid one to beholdBuffaloBull is a splendid one to beholdBuffaloBull is a splendid one to beholdBuffaloBull is a splendid one to behold
Smile Tools And Stuff

I was wondering what tools everyone uses to analyze their stock data because im always looking for better tools, so I was wondering if you guys could post what is in your opinion your favorite of the following. Also if its free or cost money be sure to mention that.

Charting Software-

Broker-

Stock Screener-

Technical Indicator-

Investing book-

Online Investing Newspaper or blog-

Real time Quoting software-

etc. -

BuffaloBull is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:46 PM   Nav to Top  #2
Johnny78
VIP Trader

Favorites: HL MT SRS
Johnny78 is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny78 is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny78 is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny78 is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny78 is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny78 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Free Stock Charts

I really like Free Stock Charts.com. You have to install the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in and it can seem a bit resource hungry if you are on an older machine, but other than that, I think it's a great tool. Lots of options, you can tweak your MA's, you get VWAP, MACD, etc. You can view your charts over multiple time frames, and a bunch of other stuff I'm too much of a noob to understand.

FreeStockCharts.com - Web's Best Streaming Realtime Stock Charts - Free

You should also check:

Member Uploads - StockRants Stock Market Forum
Johnny78 is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:54 PM   Nav to Top  #3
kabilius
VIP Trader

Favorites: KERX, OREX, SUPG
kabilius is a splendid one to beholdkabilius is a splendid one to beholdkabilius is a splendid one to beholdkabilius is a splendid one to beholdkabilius is a splendid one to beholdkabilius is a splendid one to beholdkabilius is a splendid one to behold

I use StockCharts.com - Simply the Web's Best Financial Charts for technical analysis.
It is free, easy to read and shows important points on the chart.

Johnny78, FreeStockCharts looks good too, thanks
Rule #1 of a stock investor - Say no to greed
kabilius is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:57 PM   Nav to Top  #4
Johnny78
VIP Trader

Favorites: HL MT SRS
Johnny78 is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny78 is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny78 is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny78 is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny78 is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny78 is a glorious beacon of light
Default StockCharts.com

Kalibus,

I use Free Stock Charts.com because it's real-time (and it's free).

Once I learn a little TA, I should probably check out Stock Charts.com. Knowing as little as I do, I wouldn't have a very nuanced understanding of either service.

Free Stock Charts.com has a lot of drawing tools as well, but no guidance really.

Last edited by Johnny78; 06-06-2009 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Johnny78 is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:22 PM   Nav to Top  #5
kabilius
VIP Trader

kabilius is a splendid one to beholdkabilius is a splendid one to beholdkabilius is a splendid one to beholdkabilius is a splendid one to beholdkabilius is a splendid one to beholdkabilius is a splendid one to beholdkabilius is a splendid one to behold

Hi Johnny78.

I am nowhere close to a master of TA either, but I believe if you can combine your research with TA, you will lift your stock trading to another level. I am still working on it...

kab
Old 06-09-2009, 04:03 PM   Nav to Top  #6
BuffaloBull
VIP Trader

BuffaloBull is a splendid one to beholdBuffaloBull is a splendid one to beholdBuffaloBull is a splendid one to beholdBuffaloBull is a splendid one to beholdBuffaloBull is a splendid one to beholdBuffaloBull is a splendid one to beholdBuffaloBull is a splendid one to behold

Does anybody have any good stock screeners that they use? Thats what im really in need for. I'd really like one that would screen for stocks with particular moving average crossovers.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 PM   Nav to Top  #7
kabilius
VIP Trader

Is this what you want?
MSN Stock Power Searches. Stock Power Searches - MSN Money
Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 AM   Nav to Top  #8
BuffaloBull
VIP Trader

That's actually what I'm using right now, and it's pretty good, but actually this one was the one I was looking for. It's a bit more technical than the other one.

Free Stock Screener - Stock Scan - Technical Stock Screen - Penny Stock Screening - Stock Screeners - Stock Scanning - Candlestick Scan, MACD Scan, Stochastic Scan, Moving Average Scan, RSI Scan, CCI Scan
Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 PM   Nav to Top  #9
kabilius
VIP Trader

Ahha! nice site, I have one more tool to find great stocks!
Are you finding great stocks with those stock screeners? I know the stocks above MA 200 are strong stocks, but I think a lot of the Nasdaq and biotech stocks are above MA 200, so what other stats do you use to pick out the better ones?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 05:57 PM   Nav to Top  #10
BuffaloBull
VIP Trader

I'm actually a swing trader as a hobby, so basically I look for stocks that are in between supports and resistance trend lines. I usually sort by volume, that way I'm only playing with high volume stocks. I hate low volume ones, too unpredictable. I will buy if I can confirm that they hit the support and then rebound. I also used simple moving avg. crossovers, 9 day and 4 day. Sometimes i use MACD. I have yet to use stochastics but I will hopefully soon. And just recently I've been learning how to use some of the tools on freestockcharts, I'm really into the fibinacci tools right now, they can be cool.