Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 PM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » Public Stock Forums » Technical Stuff » Tips: Trading FAS/FAZ

Old 05-23-2009, 05:27 PM   Nav to Top  #11
chuckd
UberTrader

Favorites: KFN LVS NTE
chuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forget:

Small Cap Bear 3X TZA
Large Cap Bear 3X BGZ

Small Cap Bull 3X TNA
Large Cap Bull 3X BGU
All advice from me is guaranteed to be worth at least what you paid for it, or double your money back. All persons dealing with matters of personal finance are advised to gather information from blogs, books, radio and TV, consult with professionals, discuss the matter with anybody who will listen, and then make their own decision.

Last edited by Miles; 05-24-2009 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: added quote tickers
chuckd is offline   1 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:21 PM   Nav to Top  #12
AndyB
Pro Charting Wannabe

Favorites: $SPX GGG.L ARSLF
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on to your pants guys, FAZ has a good chance of doing well these coming weeks

I'm using a stoploss at my break-even on SFEG. Production is delayed.
AndyB is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:24 PM   Nav to Top  #13
chuckd
UberTrader

Favorites: KFN LVS NTE
chuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond repute

I sold my FAZ Friday afternoon, I held for a couple of days last week

but NO WAY I was holding over the long weekend. Will look to get in

under 5 if I can next week
All advice from me is guaranteed to be worth at least what you paid for it, or double your money back. All persons dealing with matters of personal finance are advised to gather information from blogs, books, radio and TV, consult with professionals, discuss the matter with anybody who will listen, and then make their own decision.
chuckd is offline   1 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:30 PM   Nav to Top  #14
AndyB
Pro Charting Wannabe

AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

My personal bear-tip is buy NYSE:SDS and just sit on it for 6 months

Also NYSE:SKF is a double-short financial ETF but no-where near as volatile (nor as bad decay) as FAZ.

Lets face it guys, risk:reward for shorting is now very very good.

Last edited by Miles; 05-24-2009 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: tickers
Old 05-24-2009, 10:08 AM   Nav to Top  #15
robert
UberTrader

robert has much to be proud ofrobert has much to be proud ofrobert has much to be proud ofrobert has much to be proud ofrobert has much to be proud ofrobert has much to be proud ofrobert has much to be proud ofrobert has much to be proud ofrobert has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chuckd View Post
I sold my FAZ Friday afternoon, I held for a couple of days last week

but NO WAY I was holding over the long weekend. Will look to get in

under 5 if I can next week
I've had my FAZ for 2 weeks. I'm out next week with the market. I hope
Old 05-24-2009, 06:51 PM   Nav to Top  #16
AndyB
Pro Charting Wannabe

Guys, I know FAZ is the widow maker of the markets. I personally lost $600 (which is a lot on my budget ;) trading FAZ by stupidly shorting financials in April.

However ...

I think there is a time to go bullish and a time to go bearish and the latter is pretty much upon us. I will be taking positions in shorts this week (in addition to my already held short positions in S&P500 futures).

Check this video for an interesting perspective on FAZ.

The bottom has to be somewhere (or top in the case of shorts) and I believe this is a pretty good candidate. If so, welcome to wave 5 of this bear market that will take the indices to shocking new lows.

Bank failures coming my friends. FDIC has a $500bn line of credit for bank deposits (why would they need that if the worst is over?) and the FDIC is also renting out offices to cope with - bank failures starting this Sept. Hmmm ...

That being said highly leveraged shorts are dangerous so trade them on the proviso that you could get seriously burned.

GL guys and stay safe in the markets

Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 AM   Nav to Top  #17
blue
UberTrader

blue has much to be proud ofblue has much to be proud ofblue has much to be proud ofblue has much to be proud ofblue has much to be proud ofblue has much to be proud ofblue has much to be proud ofblue has much to be proud ofblue has much to be proud of

I would agree with a few people above--don't buy FAS or FAZ--buy option puts or calls on them. And only what you are willing to lose. For some reason there seem to be more call option buying volume on the one that is going up (FAS or FAZ) than put volume on other one, but I prefer to buy a put on the opposite one (the one not going up but down) since you can also win with decay with a put--if it doesn't expire worthless first. This is for people who like fast action and large risk.
blue is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 PM   Nav to Top  #18
marketlines
Trader

marketlines will become famous soon enoughmarketlines will become famous soon enough
Default FAS - Technical Chart

All time technical chart of FAS:

FAS - Financial 3X ETF - Technical Chart
marketlines is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 PM   Nav to Top  #19
bullmarket11
Junior Trader

bullmarket11 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by robert View Post
Thanks for those!
Adding on to that list, here are a few more that I also watch:

TZA - Direxion Daily Small Cp Bear 3X Shs
BGZ - Direxion Daily Large Cp Bear 3X Sh
EDZ - Direxion Daily Emr Mkts Bear 3x Shs
TNA - Direxion Daily Small Cp Bull 3X Shs

They're all fairly volatile so I sometimes day trade just on those.
bullmarket11 is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:31 PM   Nav to Top  #20
marketlines
Trader

marketlines will become famous soon enoughmarketlines will become famous soon enough

Technical analysis chart of FAZ - Triple Short Financial ETF
marketlines is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote

Tags
fas, faz