Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 AM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » Public Stock Forums » Technical Stuff » QuoteTracker Review & Setup Guide

Old 03-27-2009, 03:19 PM   Nav to Top  #1
Miles
Seeking Bottoms

Favorites: LVS, FAS/FAZ, POT
Miles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond repute
Did I help?
Send a message via AIM to Miles Send a message via Skype™ to Miles
Default QuoteTracker Review & Setup Guide

QuoteTracker Review & Setup Guide
by Miles Evans

Update: Feb 10, 2013: QuoteTracker's integrated trading now works solely with TD Ameritrade. Trade free for 60 days + Get up to $600 with TD Ameritrade.

Rating
: 9.2/10
Download (Windows / OS X with VMware): QuoteTracker
Price: Free with ads. Without ads: $7 per month, $35 for six months or $60 per year. If you have an Ameritrade account you're in luck, because you get the registered version free with a funded account. I would highly recommend registering to get rid of the ads and other limitations but it's up to you and it will work fine without doing so. Read about registering for more info.

Disclaimer: The following is an unbiased review, meaning I am not getting paid in any way (look Ma no affiliate links!)

A few years ago I was faced with the daunting task of setting up a tick by tick style Trade Station. Luckily I had a very skilled trader (lurking somewhere on this board) living in my condo building and he introduced me to QuoteTracker.

QuoteTracker is likely not the best or the fanciest trading software out there but it does what it does very very well, and it's free so it automatically gets points for that. What it does right is provide gorgeous charts with nearly any indicator you can imagine (and many more you cannot).

Note: If you are daytrading and NOT using a solid tick by tick trading application, you are losing money...Period.

The main window displays all of your stocks to watch. You can name portfilio's so I usually have a WATCH and a HOLDING list.

The first thing you will need to do is get your data feed setup, In all cases this involves simply choosing your broker from a dropdown and entering in your username and password.

That's the good news. The bad news is that QT only support certain brokers, mind you, pretty much ALL the major ones. You will need to check it out to see if yours is supported. Also it is worth pointing out that the guys at QT are very good at answering support emails from my experience.

Ok to setup your data feeds go to: Options > Data Sources/Proxy Settings

You may also setup the program to perform your trades right from within QuoteTracker. I don't do this but my friend does, and he says it works great.

Tab around and you can set several other data related options like Level II quotes, news, indices, and backfill settings.

Okay now add a couple tickers so we can play around. Right click in QuoteTracker until you get a popup menu. Select: Add Symbol to List

If the markets are running and your data feed is working you should now see your candlesticks growing. Or wait are you just happy to see me?

Okay before we get into anything else look at how sweet the charts in Quotetracker look below. You can make anything that appears on a chart any color you want, including indicators, and right down to the gradiant in the background. The best part is that to save this chart image you see below all I had to was hit CTRL-S (click for larger view).

Can you dig it? Hell yes, ubercharts! So above I have several indicators including Volume, Price by Volume (grey bars), MACD, Bollinger bands, Elliotwave, and my favorite, the TTM Squeeze (2nd from bottom).

I think the best part about QuoteTracker is that there are a crapload of custom indicators you can add. You can tweak them to do almost anything, and you can actually make your own. We can look at building some later on but for now right click on any chart and choose: Select Indicators.

Okay going over all of these indicators is really outside of the scope of this guide, but you can search around and see what you would like to track. Choose some stuff like I did above and click Apply and OK.

Additions

There! You're using QuoteTracker. As I learn more you will see it here!

Last edited by Miles; 02-10-2013 at 02:00 PM..
Miles is offline   9 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:24 PM   Nav to Top  #2
chuckd
UberTrader

Favorites: KFN LVS NTE
chuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a BUNCH Miles!!
All advice from me is guaranteed to be worth at least what you paid for it, or double your money back. All persons dealing with matters of personal finance are advised to gather information from blogs, books, radio and TV, consult with professionals, discuss the matter with anybody who will listen, and then make their own decision.
chuckd is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:12 PM   Nav to Top  #3
ychamb
UberTrader

Favorites: LVS, QTWW, WWEI, BIPH
ychamb has much to be proud ofychamb has much to be proud ofychamb has much to be proud ofychamb has much to be proud ofychamb has much to be proud ofychamb has much to be proud ofychamb has much to be proud ofychamb has much to be proud ofychamb has much to be proud of

Geez. That software is amazing.
ychamb is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:41 PM   Nav to Top  #4
Mendy
UberTrader

Favorites: LVS SPG SKF
Mendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond repute

Miles,

Do you find their charts to be better then Ameritrade?
Mendy is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:23 PM   Nav to Top  #5
fherrada
UberTrader

Favorites: CNFO, CTIC, CAST
fherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to fherrada

Great software Miles, especially since i am a TD Ameritrade client,...Love it, thanx!!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 AM   Nav to Top  #6
AndyB
Pro Charting Wannabe

Favorites: $SPX GGG.L ARSLF
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

Miles, thanks for the info on Quotetracker.

I don't personally use it, but there was one feature that I was very interested in. Quotetracker has an API meaning you can write software to integrate to it (consume stock prices or even place orders via your broker). Ameritrade also has an API but Quotetracker will let you access this feature even if you're not an Ameritrade customer.

So what does this mean? Well I'm a software engineer by trade and I've considered writing some software that runs continually on my computer and home, searching the markets for certain setups / conditions on stocks. For instance, it could be reversal candlestick patterns, or certain indicator combinations. Then the software if it finds a decent signal would email me the signal to buy or sell. Any software that I write would require a data feed so it could get its real-time market data. This could be achieved through Quotetracker's API.

Anyway this idea is a long way off becoming a reality, but just in case any of you are handy with software it might be of interest to you.
AndyB is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:03 PM   Nav to Top  #7
Mac
UberTrader

Mac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome post, Miles. Thanks a lot.

I'm gonna have to check this out.

Do you know if Zecco is included in the brokerages options?

Does it have a "Buy Low, Sell High" button? lol

p.s. remember, it can always go lower, unless it's already at zero.
Mac is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 AM   Nav to Top  #8
DanB
UberTrader

DanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Do you know if Zecco is included in the brokerages options?
looks like just these are listed:

TD AMERITRADE
optionsXpress
MB Trading
Interactive Brokers
OC Securities
EFX Group
Lowtrades
RML Trading
TradeFreedom
ChoiceTrade
myTrack

P.S. How do you rate Zecco?
DanB is offline   1 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:28 PM   Nav to Top  #9
fherrada
UberTrader

Favorites: CNFO, CTIC, CAST
fherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant futurefherrada has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to fherrada

I will suggest to anybody to stay away from sharebuilder, they have meesed up my dividend payout big time....Plus their fees are useless, it is $9.95 for stock trades plus $0.004 per shares over 1000 shares trades...guess how many shares i could of bought with 26000 shares?That's right, 25000 shares cost me $100...Me so happy!!!!
NNNOOTTT...
Anyway, i didn't have a pleasant experience with ther customer service so i decided to make a full transfer of my account to TD Ameritrade, their services are very descent plus i can trade virtually anything i want to..Plus customer service was very efficient each and everytime i had to deal with them.....
Anyway now that i have left some of my hanger out XD, please remember that is just my opinion and in any way anybody should act upon my advices but solenely on their own judgement...GLTUA
Old 05-01-2009, 12:26 PM   Nav to Top  #10
AKrider
VIP Trader

Favorites: SD, BCF, BIPH
AKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant future

I installed quote tracker and they asked me for my username and password to E Trade... I do not feel comfortable with givign that information for obvious reasons. Is there a way to avoid this?
AKrider is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote

Tags
QuoteTracker