Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:32 PM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » Public Stock Forums » Technical Stuff » SPX Dow Day Trading - 20 Period MA continuation strategy

Old 05-27-2009, 06:29 PM   Nav to Top  #1
AndyB
Pro Charting Wannabe

Favorites: $SPX GGG.L ARSLF
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute
Default SPX Dow Day Trading - 20 Period MA continuation strategy

Hi all, I thought I'd share a quick and easy strategy to day trade the indices. I trade the S&P500, the Dow and sometimes FTSE100 using Spread Betting in the UK. If you can't access futures/index accounts then you can also trade indices using leveraged ETFs in an equities account.

The strategy is simple. When a big move occurs, the 20 period simple moving average takes some time to catch up with the index. When it does, a strongly trending SMA "Pushes" the index in the direction it is going, causing a continuation. This is your short/long entry (depending on whether its an uptrend or downtrend).

Before

After

Boom! Easy money!

Just note I've seen this work intraday on 5min, 15min and 1 hour moving averages in uptrends and downtrends. The 1 min is pretty weak and will not give you much of a push but it should still be taken into account.

You should also note that this strategy can give more than one continuation as the index can repeatedly get pushed by the MA's, however after a few touches the index tends to overpower the average and get on the other side of it. If you haven't already, that's the time to exit the trade.

I'm using a stoploss at my break-even on SFEG. Production is delayed.

Last edited by AndyB; 05-27-2009 at 06:33 PM..
AndyB is offline   1 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:00 AM   Nav to Top  #2
DanB
UberTrader

DanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant future

Hi AndyB, Did you post your usual quality, annotated graphs, with this as it'll really help to see what you have explained.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 AM   Nav to Top  #3
AndyB
Pro Charting Wannabe

Favorites: $SPX GGG.L ARSLF
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dan, can you not see the graphs in the post above? I can see them on my computer.

I'm using a stoploss at my break-even on SFEG. Production is delayed.
AndyB is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 AM   Nav to Top  #4
DanB
UberTrader

DanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant futureDanB has a brilliant future

it's working on my iPhone. Strange. I'm back at work later tonight and will have another look from their. It could have been my browser unless the images at not hosted on stock rants and the proxy filter kicked in. At least I can see the noted charts now. :). Good work
Old 05-28-2009, 03:10 PM   Nav to Top  #5
DanB
UberTrader

Yep, Darn Proxy filtering.... Your hosting the images from photobucket.com, which blocked from my corporate connection (good job I have another connection :)