Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:15 PM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » General Forums » StockRants Announcements » Do we want a chat feature?

View Poll Results: Chat Feature?
Yes. 23 95.83%
No. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 PM   Nav to Top  #1
Miles
Seeking Bottoms

Favorites: LVS, FAS/FAZ, POT
Miles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond repute
Did I help?
Send a message via AIM to Miles Send a message via Skype™ to Miles
Default Do we want a chat feature?

I have a few things (dozens!) that need to be done before May 8th but I was thinking a chat function would be ideal. But then again this might detract users from using the forums. We could certainly give it a try. I could likely set it up and ready for use in a day or two.

What do you guys think? Please vote.
Please note that all information on securities I provide is merely my own opinion and any advice given is purely speculative and should not under any circumstances be considered investment advice. You alone are solely responsible for determining whether any investment, security or strategy, or any other product or service, is appropriate or suitable for you based on your investment objectives and personal and financial situation.

Last edited by Miles; 04-28-2009 at 05:59 PM..
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:20 PM   Nav to Top  #2
Pashka
UberTrader

Favorites: LVS, XL, LCC
Pashka has a brilliant futurePashka has a brilliant futurePashka has a brilliant futurePashka has a brilliant futurePashka has a brilliant futurePashka has a brilliant futurePashka has a brilliant futurePashka has a brilliant futurePashka has a brilliant futurePashka has a brilliant futurePashka has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Pashka

Excellent idea... if there's a good find people can ask for a post but idiotic suggestions will be rejected real time.
Pashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:27 PM   Nav to Top  #3
trants
Rants

Favorites: MOT WDC ENG
trants has a reputation beyond reputetrants has a reputation beyond reputetrants has a reputation beyond reputetrants has a reputation beyond reputetrants has a reputation beyond reputetrants has a reputation beyond reputetrants has a reputation beyond reputetrants has a reputation beyond reputetrants has a reputation beyond reputetrants has a reputation beyond reputetrants has a reputation beyond repute
Devil You don't see me, I am not here! I am a tree, Be the Tree!

Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I have a few things (dozens!) that need to be done before May 8th but I was thinking a chat function would be ideal. But then again this might detract users from using the forums. We could certainly give it a try. I could likely set it up and ready for use in a day or two.

What do you guys think? Please vote.
Miles,

This content deleted in the interest of not looking to danged stupid!

Old Eye's LOLOLOLOL

Don't you laugh, your day is coming!!

Last edited by trants; 04-28-2009 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Was holding My Computer To Far Away LOL Misread Thread! He He
trants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 PM   Nav to Top  #4
Mendy
UberTrader

Favorites: LVS SPG SKF
Mendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond repute

Miles,

I think its really good for us to have a chat room.
It gives short term traders another area to hang out.
I was thinking though if its possible we should maybe have 2 chat rooms.
One for Scalp trades and one for long trades for the day.

This way when we open up to the public and we have many different style traders
they can choose which chat room is their style.

We can always start off with one room and see how that goes.

I have friends who would participate and give their picks threw out the day.

I also am willing to manage any responsibilities that the chat room might come with.

Let me know what's on your mind....

"This market right now is moving on nothing more than emotions. Guess what? It almost always moves on emotions."
Mendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:21 AM   Nav to Top  #5
SK_
UberTrader

SK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Definitely yes!

Eh, YES! I wanna view how the master minds work online XD
SK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:39 AM   Nav to Top  #6
Speedjunki
VIP Trader

Favorites: HAYZ LVS MGM
Speedjunki is a name known to allSpeedjunki is a name known to allSpeedjunki is a name known to allSpeedjunki is a name known to allSpeedjunki is a name known to allSpeedjunki is a name known to all

It would be nice to have an instant communication on NOW things.
Speedjunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:35 AM   Nav to Top  #7
AndyB
Pro Charting Wannabe

Favorites: $SPX GGG.L ARSLF
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

Yes definitely. A chat room would make this site 1st class (of course, it is already ;) and would attract a LOT more users.

However - make sure the chat is not too good and/or invasive on the screen. If it is, Miles you rightly point out it will detract from the forums.

Some good chat modules popup in the bottom right and just sit there (facebook style) or you could like you said have a day-trade chat room.

BTW be careful of loading on your site with a chat module. What do you use for web hosting? If you start to get thousands of users using a chat module then don't be surprised if your web host boots you off (I'm a software engineer, but don't primarily work with web development)

I'm using a stoploss at my break-even on SFEG. Production is delayed.
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:42 AM   Nav to Top  #8
Temujin
Omniscient Trader

Favorites: LVS, MGM, XL
Temujin is a splendid one to beholdTemujin is a splendid one to beholdTemujin is a splendid one to beholdTemujin is a splendid one to beholdTemujin is a splendid one to beholdTemujin is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Temujin

Yes Miles i think that would be fantastic, totally agree with aburnett, be good to have the chat window sitting in say the bottom left hand corner and constanlty avaliable yet not to intrusive and distruptive from the whole website as such.

Im sure with your fantastic web design skills you will come up with a fantastic soloution.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:49 AM   Nav to Top  #9
AndyB
Pro Charting Wannabe

Favorites: $SPX GGG.L ARSLF
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively a bigger chat feature (for instance Parachat, or Flashcoms) would be good for day traders.

I often day-trade the S&P500 and the Dow but not stocks.

I'm using a stoploss at my break-even on SFEG. Production is delayed.
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:32 AM   Nav to Top  #10
Cedar136
Junior Trader

Favorites: LVS, GNTA, F
Cedar136 is just really niceCedar136 is just really niceCedar136 is just really niceCedar136 is just really nice

Miles what a great idea! I have visited other chat rooms and I have noticed that some have problems with etiquette in the chat room. For example no cussing, no capitals (that is seen as yelling).
I think a set of rules just for the chat would be nice that way you could direct anyone who needs it to go back and read them.
Something else I just thought of was how would we be aware of someone pumping a stock? I know we should do our own research but someone may push a stock in a pushy way trying to get others to buy so they can sell.

Just some thoughts. I do really like the chat idea. So far though I have been reading everything here already trying to learn as much as I can.

To all who developed this site once again thank you very much!
Cedar136 is offline   Reply With Quote