Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 AM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » Public Stock Forums » US Stock Picks » Long: $GOOG or $AAPL

Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 PM   Nav to Top  #1
Vicorka
Trader

Favorites: SPY, XLF
Vicorka has a spectacular aura aboutVicorka has a spectacular aura about
Default $GOOG or $AAPL

When it comes to the choice between GOOG and AAPL stock I would rather go with GOOG. WHY?

1. Android devices are cheaper and more affordable.
2. Google Play and Appstore have basically similar set of apps.
3. Because of the monopolization strategy, AAPL products are not compatible with other products and it may affect his company in the future.
4. Android OS is free, it develops very fast and there are more odds in near future most of the devices will be using this system (TV, phones, satellites, cars and etc) simply because it will not put additional cost on a producer.
5. AAPL devices are high quality devices. You cannot even closely compare HP laptop to Apple notebook.On the other side, technology develops and less and less people expect an electronic device to work for 5-10 years, simply because most of the consumers change/update their devices within a couple of years for a more advanced ones and that is where price comes on the first place.
6. AAPL is popular (people buy it because it is "cool"). However, Samsung Galaxy has made a strong hit on AAPL popularity with respect to a "cool" device. There will be other hits, simply because it is possible to make with Android OS and the number of companies using Android OS is increasing - with quantity comes higher odds of something new and something "cool".
7. So far AAPL goes one step ahead of others in technology implementation and new ideas - they invest a lot into research. On the other side this is extra expenses for AAPL other company do not have. Again, technology develops and it puts competitors in narrow range when it is more and more difficult to be ahead. Number of companies using Android OS is increasing and with it comes higher odds of somebody other than AAPL come with a new "cool" idea.
8. GOOG is more diversified company and it should better survive in the market.
Vicorka is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:55 AM   Nav to Top  #2
SIF
Junior Trader

Favorites: TM,GM,GOO
SIF is on a distinguished road

thank you for your very good post
Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 PM   Nav to Top  #3
antichartjunk
Trader

Favorites: DDD KORS LNKD
antichartjunk will become famous soon enoughantichartjunk will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb

I agree but it need not be that complicated. All that information and more is baked into the chart, price, and volume.

AAPL's chart is in a clear downtrend (of which it may never recover, time will tell), i.e. poor relative stength. Accumulation/distribution, up/down volume, % change in hedge/mutual funds owning stock all point to major insitutional distribution.

GOOG's long term uptrend remains intact. A/D and U/D volume still reveal insitutional accumulation.
“Chartjunk refers to all visual elements in charts and graphs that are not necessary to comprehend the information represented on the graph, or that distract the viewer from this information.“- as defined by Wikipedia and Edward R. Tufte

Antichartjunk
http://antichartjunk.com

Twitter
https://twitter.com/antichartjunk

StockTwits
http://stocktwits.com/antichartjunk
antichartjunk is offline   1 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:59 PM   Nav to Top  #4
Belle50207
Junior Trader

Favorites: MSFT, GOOG
Belle50207 is on a distinguished road

Is your strategy to buy and hold?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 AM   Nav to Top  #5
antichartjunk
Trader

Favorites: DDD KORS LNKD
antichartjunk will become famous soon enoughantichartjunk will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb

No, my strategy is based on the teachings of Jesse Livermore, Nicholas Darvas, and William O’Neil, IBD, etc.
“Chartjunk refers to all visual elements in charts and graphs that are not necessary to comprehend the information represented on the graph, or that distract the viewer from this information.“- as defined by Wikipedia and Edward R. Tufte

Antichartjunk
http://antichartjunk.com

Twitter
https://twitter.com/antichartjunk

StockTwits
http://stocktwits.com/antichartjunk
antichartjunk is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:51 PM   Nav to Top  #6
stock_marketmate
Junior Trader

Favorites: aapl, qcor, ebay, unp
stock_marketmate will become famous soon enough
Default Re:

I would wait until the earnings report on apple before making a decision to jump in.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 AM   Nav to Top  #7
nearmsp
Junior Trader

Favorites: spy qqq aapl
nearmsp is on a distinguished road

I am more concerned eager to hear from the company the guidance for the next few quarters rather than the earnings for the last quarter which was surely good with Apps and the iPhone 5. Is AAPL now a utility company with a replacement cycle or are they breaking new markets and taking market share from others. I am also keen to see if the mini iPads ate up their full size iPads or brought a new market segment in to buy their product.
nearmsp is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM   Nav to Top  #8
rmartish
Junior Trader

Favorites: AAPL, RHT, IBM
rmartish is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with antichartjunk. I would not touch Apple for awhile until all the dust has settled.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 AM   Nav to Top  #9
Money123
Sharing Thoughts

Favorites: GS, GOOG, AAPL
Money123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud of
Did I help?

Yeah APPL moved up breaking new highs along with the technology sector the last few years while the rest of the market stayed down below highs. AAPL in 2012 broke highs due to its two year contract plans in China 300 plus million of them at the time about the population size of the USA. Entering China was key in its huge rise.

Lately they have been not able to get the parts orders done.

GOOG has earnings Tuesday after close and I was looking for a bounce off the 690.

Google is expected to earn $10.54 per share (on a Non-GAAP basis) on revenue (ex-TAC) of $12.27 bln. The high estimates on the Street are $11.91 per share and $12.72 bln, respectively.

Oppenheimer lowered its 4Q earnings estimate on Google from $11.20 per share to $9.62, according to a post on Barron's Online, based on the decision to sell its own tablet computer hardware and the resulting cost impact on margins and traffic acquisition costs.... If this is right I think it will sink to 690 and possibly bounce right off that.

Last edited by Money123; 01-21-2013 at 01:32 AM..
Money123 is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 PM   Nav to Top  #10
rcajht
Junior Trader

Favorites: MSFT RIMM AAPL
rcajht is on a distinguished road

AAPL is not a good choice. I like BPAX
rcajht is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote