Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » Public Stock Forums » US Stock Picks » Watch: In Honor of Football Season Being Here

Old 09-03-2011, 09:21 PM   Nav to Top  #1
Vinnystocktips
Trader

Favorites: WLT, TLEO, MO
Vinnystocktips will become famous soon enoughVinnystocktips will become famous soon enough
Default In Honor of Football Season Being Here

Football season is upon us! Waking up this morning to college gameday put a smile on my face. For some reason this last off season felt like 3 seasons for some reason, I do not know if it was because of the lock out or not, but either way I am very happy it is here. In honor of football season, I want to talk tonight about some investable names of companies that own the naming rights to sports stadiums.

Now if we do have a double dip (I do not think we will), and oil stays in the $80 range or lower, airlines will have some profit expansion which could make them attractive at these low prices. The airline industry has been in consolidation for the last decade and they have all added quite a bit of revenue due to taxes and fees baggage fees; while selling more items while in the air. With corporate business travel still being quite high and running less flights with more full planes, the airlines have the potential of actually making money. The price of oil is the single handedly biggest cost to these companies. Now they can breathe a little bit. If this holds true, then there are a few names that are on the sides of sporting arenas. American Airlines spends about $9 million a year to be the sponsor of the Miami Heat Arena, Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars. Continental Airlines is on the New Jersey Nets and Devils Arena. Delta is on the Utah Jazz arena, while the Chicago Bulls always play at the United Center named after United Airlines.

In today's turbulant market, it is nice to have international exposure to emerging markets. These are places where football season means soccer season. Some names that have a large percentage of sales in these growing economies are Coca-Cola which owns Minute Maid which is the name of the baseball park in Houston. Rival Pepsi owns the naming rights to the Denver Pepsi Center Arena.. Both of these companies have strong footholds in the emerging markets while paying a decent dividend that is much higher than the 10 year Treasury. Another name the is on a sporting venue and has a strong international presence is Ford Motor Company. The Ford family owns the Detroit Lines, so has its name on their football dome. In the spirit of football season, the Lions look to be pretty decent this year with Stafford at QB, Calvin Johnson being a stud, and their defense being scary. Ford has been running really well over the past 5 years with Alan Mulally at the helm. They have been trimming down their product lines and improving quality which has lead to their growth on both top and bottom lines. Out of all the names I am mentioning in this football season article, Ford is my favorite for the short term trading at only $10 a share.

Two other football stadiums that are worth a look as an investment are where the San Diego Chargers and Carolina Panther play. Qualcomm is the name on the stadium where both the Chargers and Padres play. Qualcomm is well positioned in the semiconductor space for mobile smart phones and other portable devices. Qualcomm is way ahead of its competitors in the 4G space. The company has over $10 billion of cash on its books while having a PEG ratio of less than 1 which I feel its actual growth over the next couple quarters will exceed estimates.

The Panthers play every home game in the Bank of America Center. Bank of America is a unique name because of all the talks in the recent weeks of it needing cash to survive. The company traded down to the $6 range then bounced around a few bucks since. Warren Buffet also invested a few billion into the company of special preferred stock that pays a nice dividend and had a bunch of warrants in the contract for a sweetener. Once again Warren Buffet got a great deal! Following Warren Buffet trades has made many people money over his lifetime. I think financials are a good play now, especially the US based names like Bank of America, JP Morgan, and Goldman Sachs. This is the first time I have had a financial in my portfolio for a very long time.

After a bad Friday and a poor jobs number, we need to figure out the best plan of action as I was positioned for an upswing. I will be writing over the next two days of my game plan for the upcoming week and see if I am changing any of my expectations. For now, we have a long weekend ahead of us and I wanted to celebrate football season being upon us with a special edition article.

http://www.vinnystocktips.com

Happy Labor Day!

Vinny
Vinnystocktips is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote

Tags
BAC, DAL, F, GS, JPM, KO, PEP, QCOM, UAL