Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 PM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » Public Stock Forums » US Stock Picks » Buy: $F - Ford - Starting a Position

Old 01-31-2011, 04:56 PM   Nav to Top  #1
Miles
Seeking Bottoms

Favorites: LVS, FAS/FAZ, POT
Miles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond repute
Did I help?
Send a message via AIM to Miles Send a message via Skype™ to Miles
Eye $F - Ford - Starting a Position

Made an entry end of trading today. As always with my long-term investments 1st of 3 entries. Auto sales numbers out Feb 1st, *should* provide another buying opportunity. Recent sell-off on F was due to over-reaction on lowered guidance for Q1 2011 and lower than expected Jan sales figures out tomorrow, among other factors.

in @ $15.90. 2011 target $20.
Cramer says $32! (see below).

Video with the Ford CEO on Mad Money from Jan 13th. Warning: lots of cheerleadering here

Recent selloff reasons:

Ford Slips, Shows Year-Long Strength

Ford Motor Co. (NYSE: F) posted a 24% fall in profit to $1.2 billion or 30 cents per share (before special items) in the fourth quarter of 2010 from $1.58 billion or 43 cents per share (before special items) in the same quarter of 2009. With this, the automaker has missed the Zacks Consensus Estimate by 19 cents per share.

The decline in profit was attributable to lower year-over-year revenues generated by the company's automotive operations as well as the financial arm. Total revenue during the quarter ebbed 7% to $32.5 billion. However, excluding revenues from Volvo, sales improved by $1.6 billion or 5% from the fourth quarter of 2009.

Outlook
For full year 2011, Ford expects industry volume (including medium and heavy trucks) of 13 million units–13.5 million units in the U.S. and 14.5 million units–15.5 million units in the 19 European markets covered by it.
In 2010, Ford continues to expect its structural costs in the Automotive division to be higher on a year-over-year basis in order to support higher production and new investments.

The company also anticipates commodity costs to be higher on the back of magnified global demand. Capital expenditures is expected in the range of $5 billion to $5.5 billion as the company continues to invest in its product and growth plans.

For 2011, Ford expects profits at Ford Credit to be lower than 2010 due to the non-recurrence of lower lease depreciation expense and that of reductions in credit loss reserve of the same magnitude as in 2010.

Our Take
We appreciate Ford's product plans and debt reduction strategy. The benefits from these strategies have already been reflected in the company's results.

However, we are concerned about the company's higher structural and commodity costs. As a result, the company retained a Zacks #3 Rank on its stock, which translated to a short-term (1–3 months) rating of Hold.

Via: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...114928724.html
Please note that all information on securities I provide is merely my own opinion and any advice given is purely speculative and should not under any circumstances be considered investment advice. You alone are solely responsible for determining whether any investment, security or strategy, or any other product or service, is appropriate or suitable for you based on your investment objectives and personal and financial situation.

Last edited by Miles; 02-02-2011 at 05:05 AM..
Miles is offline   2 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM   Nav to Top  #2
Miles
Seeking Bottoms

Miles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond repute
Did I help?

Released today....below is a recap of each automaker's January sales:

General Motors (NYSE: GM) - up 22% from 146,825 to 178,896 vehicles
Ford (NYSE: F) - up 13% to 127,317 units
Toyota (NYSE: TM) - up 17% to 115,856 units
Honda (NYSE: HMC) - up 13% to 76,269 units
Nissan (OTC: NSANY) - up 15% to 71,847 units
Chrysler - up 23% to 70,118 units

F stayed mostly flat today, so I didn't manage to get more shares.
Please note that all information on securities I provide is merely my own opinion and any advice given is purely speculative and should not under any circumstances be considered investment advice. You alone are solely responsible for determining whether any investment, security or strategy, or any other product or service, is appropriate or suitable for you based on your investment objectives and personal and financial situation.
Miles is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 PM   Nav to Top  #3
psgama
VIP Trader

Favorites: UUU, LULU, XRE
psgama is a splendid one to beholdpsgama is a splendid one to beholdpsgama is a splendid one to beholdpsgama is a splendid one to beholdpsgama is a splendid one to beholdpsgama is a splendid one to beholdpsgama is a splendid one to behold

I like Ford as well. I'm in at $10.98.

I took the opportunity to purchase some just OTM calls at $16.00 for March.

Cheers.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 PM   Nav to Top  #4
Miles
Seeking Bottoms

Did I help?

Very nice psgama

Via thestreet (bold mine):

DETROIT (TheStreet) -- Following the 13% drop in Ford's stock Friday, some analysts are dialing back estimates but retaining buy recommendations.

In a report issued Sunday, Goldman Sachs analyst Patrick Archambault reduced his six-month price target to $20 from $22, with a buy rating. At midday Monday, shares were not recovering, but rather were trading down 14 cents to $16.13.

Archambault reduced his full-year 2011 and 2012 estimates to $1.77 and $2.03, respectively. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are estimating $2.17 and $2.06.

"Our new estimates reflect higher and more back-end loaded fixed costs than we previously modeled," Archambault wrote. He now allocates fixed cost inflation of $2.6 billion during the current year, up from $1.5 billion, driven by higher product development and manufacturing costs as Ford increases its headcount, as well as by higher commodity costs.

Over the long term, he noted, "we see these outlays as essential to extending Ford's product leadership."

Bank of America Merrill Lynch analyst John Murphy also reduced his price target to $22 and reduced estimates while retaining a buy rating. Murphy's 2011 and 2012 targets, respectively, are $2.18 and $2.05. But he noted: "We remain encouraged by Ford's solid progress in 2010 and expect 2011 to be even better."

"Ford's cash generation of $1billion (in the fourth quarter) was ahead of expectations, and will likely continue to be robust," Murphy wrote. "Our current estimates imply that the company will be net cash of more than $13 billion in 2011, and as a result shareholders will reap much greater benefits than generally perceived, in our view."

In reviewing what happened on Friday, it seems clear that expectations were excessive after Ford had beaten estimates seven straight times starting in the first quarter of 2009. This time, Ford earned 30 cents a share excluding items, below consensus of 48 cents. On the earnings call, top executives acknowledged that their guidance could have been better.

Ford executives had warned repeatedly of rising commodity costs, but not of enhanced product development costs or of a fourth-quarter loss in Europe.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 PM   Nav to Top  #5
Miles
Seeking Bottoms

Did I help?
Money

Made me 3rd buy on F today after hours. Average is +/- a few pennies from $16.

Go cars go!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 AM   Nav to Top  #6
starman45
Trader

starman45 will become famous soon enoughstarman45 will become famous soon enough

Sellers are in control, at least up to 17.
Imho.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM   Nav to Top  #7
Miles
Seeking Bottoms

Did I help?
Default Ford Update

Made a couple buys today reducing avg price to $15.50. Hate to call bottoms but below is a fib retracement from last years low. Next support level @ $14.50 looks good for a bounce. Below that $13.50.

With oil tagging $100 today should be more buying opportunities ahead for F. As always if you're accumulating make staggered buys
Attached Images
File Type: gif F.gif (41.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-24-2011, 05:16 PM   Nav to Top  #8
Miles
Seeking Bottoms

Did I help?

Today F bounced exactly off $14.50 as support has held for now. One more buy at $14.61 triggered for me. Tomorrow their is a 'demonstration' in Libya planned so we could see a dip into $13.xx territory. If we do I'll try another buy @ $13.61.

GM's Q4 only affirms this as a buy for me: http://www.istockanalyst.com/article...icleid/4918278
Old 02-28-2011, 09:56 PM   Nav to Top  #9
justinschmidt1
Trader

Favorites: uwrl, bgnn, idoi
justinschmidt1 will become famous soon enough

Looking good for a long term hold I would say
justinschmidt1 is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 AM   Nav to Top  #10
BLOWRY1911
Junior Trader

BLOWRY1911 is on a distinguished road

started my postition at 14.50. id like to get one more buy in for my other half, but held off on yesterdays sell off (even though it was tempting)
BLOWRY1911 is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote

Tags
F