Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 AM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » Public Stock Forums » US Stock Picks » AGEN FDA Grants Orphan Drug Status

Old 04-29-2009, 08:15 AM   Nav to Top  #1
Mendy
UberTrader

Favorites: LVS SPG SKF
Mendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default AGEN FDA Grants Orphan Drug Status

FDA Grants Orphan Drug Designation to Oncophage for the Treatment of Glioma
7:00a ET April 29, 2009 (Business Wire)
Antigenics Inc. (NASDAQ: AGEN) today announced that Oncophage(R) (vitespen) has been granted orphan drug status for the treatment of glioma (brain cancer) by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). In March, the European Medicines Agency (EMEA) granted a similar designation for Oncophage.

"Glioma is such an aggressive and challenging cancer that when patients are diagnosed with recurrence of this life threatening disease, they rarely live beyond six months," said Andrew T. Parsa, MD, PhD, associate professor in the department of neurological surgery at the University of California, San Francisco, and lead investigator of a Phase 2 trial evaluating Oncophage in glioma. "Given the poor survival rates, the medical community needs new treatment options, and I am hopeful of the potential for Oncophage to significantly improve clinical outcomes in this patient population."

As announced in November 2008, final data from a Phase 1, investigator-sponsored trial conducted at the Brain Tumor Research Center at the University of California, San Francisco, showed that Oncophage vaccination following brain cancer surgery increased overall median survival to approximately 10.5 months, with four patients surviving beyond 12 months and one patient surviving almost 2.5 years. This is compared to a historical median survival of only 6.5 months postsurgery. Phase 2 results are expected to be presented later this year.

Orphan Drug Designation in the United States

In the United States, the Orphan Drug Act provides for the orphan drug designation, which aims to encourage the development of drugs involved in the diagnosis, prevention or treatment of a medical condition affecting fewer than 200,000 people in the country. Orphan drug designation entitles Antigenics to seven years of market exclusivity for Oncophage in the treatment of glioma patients in the event of market approval for this indication. Additional incentives for orphan drug development include tax credits related to development expenses, reduction in FDA user fees and FDA assistance in clinical trial design.

About Oncophage

In April 2008, Oncophage was approved in Russia for the adjuvant treatment of kidney cancer patients at intermediate-risk for disease recurrence. In October 2008, Antigenics submitted a marketing authorization application to the EMEA requesting conditional approval for Oncophage in earlier-stage, localized renal cell carcinoma.

Derived from each individual's tumor, Oncophage contains the 'antigenic fingerprint' of the patient's particular cancer and is designed to reprogram the body's immune system to target only cancer cells bearing this fingerprint. Oncophage is intended to leave healthy tissue unaffected and limit the debilitating side effects typically associated with traditional cancer treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Oncophage has been studied in Phase 3 clinical trials for the treatment of kidney cancer and metastatic melanoma and is currently being investigated in a Phase 2 trial in recurrent glioma.

Oncophage has also received fast track and orphan drug designations from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for both kidney cancer and metastatic melanoma.

In April 2009, the World Vaccine Congress named Oncophage the best therapeutic vaccine.

About Brain Tumors

Glioma is the most common type of brain tumor and is currently a fatal disease impairing areas such as thinking, personality and movement. The National Cancer Institute estimates that about 19,000 cases are diagnosed every year in the United States and, according to historical estimates, the median survival of patients with previously treated glioma is typically three to six months.

About Antigenics

Antigenics (NASDAQ: AGEN) is a biotechnology company working to develop treatments for cancers and infectious diseases. For more information, please visit ANTIGENICS - Personalized cancer vaccines and other revolutionary treatments

"This market right now is moving on nothing more than emotions. Guess what? It almost always moves on emotions."
Mendy is offline   1 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:12 AM   Nav to Top  #2
Etiennester
UberTrader

Favorites: boom,bang,paf
Etiennester will become famous soon enoughEtiennester will become famous soon enough

I remember saying to buy at .41 one month ago, lol. Is Mendy the only one who did this? I see AGEN at $1.50 on this news.
Etiennester is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:14 AM   Nav to Top  #3
VicVan
UberTrader

Favorites: ANTO, GE, XL
VicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond repute

Just emailed this

Yeah - its gone up pre trade but think it has more legs. Everyone is watching DNDN so you can double down. I am now IN this stock from last time.
Always do your own research and make up your own mind on any stock. Top investors follow themselves, sheep get slaughtered. Any tip, suggestion or comment posted by me is simply a suggestion / prompt for you to make up your own mind. No liability will be accepted. Its not a professional view, its a suggestion. Shares go up and down. Always spread your investments, always set your stops both up and down. If shorting or Futures investing, know what your doing. You cant beat the sharks, but you can swim on their back. Trade lucky.
VicVan is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 AM   Nav to Top  #4
Etiennester
UberTrader

Favorites: boom,bang,paf
Etiennester will become famous soon enoughEtiennester will become famous soon enough

Lol... how can you double down? DNDN is up 157% to $28
Etiennester is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:53 AM   Nav to Top  #5
VicVan
UberTrader

VicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond reputeVicVan has a reputation beyond repute

Stock: ANTIGENICS INC DEL COM USD0.01

Order Type: Limit

Limit Price: $0.715

Indicative Buy FX Rate: 1.4669

Hah ahah ahah

They put through 0.715 – this is after pre trade – sold in a instant for profits (leaving my old holding since the spike, post Mendys original tip)

Guys get stuck in – day trade glory, its like up and down 5 – 10% every few seconds.

I think I got the absolute bottom (thus far for the day!!!))

Made 15% in around 40 seconds..................... ha hahaha!!!
Always do your own research and make up your own mind on any stock. Top investors follow themselves, sheep get slaughtered. Any tip, suggestion or comment posted by me is simply a suggestion / prompt for you to make up your own mind. No liability will be accepted. Its not a professional view, its a suggestion. Shares go up and down. Always spread your investments, always set your stops both up and down. If shorting or Futures investing, know what your doing. You cant beat the sharks, but you can swim on their back. Trade lucky.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 AM   Nav to Top  #6
Todd
VIP Trader

Favorites: LVS,HUN,XL
Todd is a name known to allTodd is a name known to allTodd is a name known to allTodd is a name known to allTodd is a name known to allTodd is a name known to all

I'm in at .73...

Hope this doesn't turn out like ANSV... I lost a boat load buying after the second jump...
Todd is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:28 AM   Nav to Top  #7
VicVan
UberTrader

Mate - have you sold already! I was literally in it for a few minutes. Sweet!
(long position still in)

Mendy werent you holding this from a tiny sp? or was it another? thought it was you and Etineenggeer
Old 05-05-2009, 01:34 PM   Nav to Top  #8
VicVan
UberTrader

"Antigenics to Report First Quarter 2009 Financial Results on May 7, 2009; Conference Call to Follow"

Mendy - whats your thoughts - especially as its dipped since the spike. I sold a chuck hence ready to go back in, do you think it will lift up? or the drug news lifted it as much as its going to go for the time being. Just interested in your views here.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:03 PM   Nav to Top  #9
Prentiss
Busy Counting Stacks

Favorites: See my thread...
Prentiss has a reputation beyond reputePrentiss has a reputation beyond reputePrentiss has a reputation beyond reputePrentiss has a reputation beyond reputePrentiss has a reputation beyond reputePrentiss has a reputation beyond reputePrentiss has a reputation beyond reputePrentiss has a reputation beyond reputePrentiss has a reputation beyond reputePrentiss has a reputation beyond reputePrentiss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Prentiss

I'm in this for the long.

http://www.thepictures.us/images/f4z...t7va50p91h.gif

You follow my words, you will both MAKE and LOSE money JUST LIKE ME!
Prentiss is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 PM   Nav to Top  #10
Mendy
UberTrader

Favorites: LVS SPG SKF
Mendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Earnings

Firstly I am in this for the long run....With a small size...

I checked out last earnings report and noticed that they were expected to report
a loss of -.16 and instead had a nice surprise of +.08!

This quarter they are expected to report a loss as well...

Also May 1 there was an insider purchase for around 14,000 shares...
Which leaves that officer with 13,776,000....

I am not worried...

"This market right now is moving on nothing more than emotions. Guess what? It almost always moves on emotions."
Mendy is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote

Tags
AGEN, FDA, Orphan Drug