Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 PM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » Public Stock Forums » US Stock Picks » Strong Buy: HLCS - Helicos BioSciences Corp. (NASDAQ)

Old 08-10-2009, 09:03 PM   Nav to Top  #1
Money123
Sharing Thoughts

Favorites: GS, GOOG, AAPL
Money123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud of
Did I help?
Default HLCS - Helicos BioSciences Corp

HLCS - HUGE Buying volume EOD on the PR and it closed at .72 AT 1.00 AFTER HOURS Good one to WATCH TOMORROW> 1.08 and 1.12 resistance and then 1.80. Helicos BioSciences Announces the First Ever Single-Molecule View of Whole Human Genome
3:49p ET August 10, 2009 (Business Wire)

Old 08-10-2009, 09:08 PM   Nav to Top  #2
Money123
Sharing Thoughts

Money123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud ofMoney123 has much to be proud of
Did I help?

This PR is really something:

Helicos BioSciences Announces the First Ever Single-Molecule View of Whole Human Genome
3:49p ET August 10, 2009 (Business Wire)

Helicos BioSciences Corporation (NASDAQ: HLCS), a life science company focused on innovative genetic analysis technologies, today announced the publication of a breakthrough study in which a Helicos(TM) Genetic Analysis System was used to sequence a human genome at the Stanford Institute for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine. The research article, now appearing in the on-line edition of Nature Biotechnology, demonstrates the power, accuracy and ease-of-use of the Helicos System.

The study, conducted by Dmitry Pushkarev, Norma Neff and Stephen Quake was carried out using less than four runs of a single HeliScope(TM) Single Molecule Sequencer, and achieved 28X average coverage of the human genome. The sequencing allowed the detection of over 2.8 million single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), of which over 370,000 were novel. Validation with a genotyping array demonstrated 99.8% concordance. The unbiased nature of the single-molecule sequencing approach also allowed the detection of 752 copy number variations (CNVs) in this genome.

"Helicos is very proud of this achievement and congratulates the Stanford group on their study; personal genome resequencing is another in a continuing series of major breakthroughs for our team as we bring the only true single-molecule sequencing available today to the market" said Ron Lowy, CEO of Helicos.

The Helicos Genetic Analysis System is the world's first and only commercially available, single molecule sequencing technology, and enables scientists to conduct revolutionary studies in the fields of genome biology, cancer research, common diseases genetics, and microbiology without adapter ligation or amplification. Unlike other technologies that require complex and costly sample preparation, the Helicos Genetic Analysis System can analyze DNA directly, with very little manipulation, allowing individual laboratories to conduct affordable, large-scale experiments.

"Consider just how quickly our technology has enabled a single lab to interrogate a human genome" said Patrice Milos, CSO of Helicos. "This represents a major shift in the way we expect human genomics to be carried out in the future, with the hope of ultimately impacting human disease" added Milos.

The sequence data from this publication are available at the National Institutes of Health National Center for Biotechnology Information Short Read Archive (Announcements : Main : Short Read Archive : NCBI/NLM/NIH).
Old 08-11-2009, 01:25 PM   Nav to Top  #3
Money123
Sharing Thoughts

Did I help?

Yeah took a nice uptrend in the morning.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:29 PM   Nav to Top  #4
Etiennester
UberTrader

Favorites: boom,bang,paf
Etiennester will become famous soon enoughEtiennester will become famous soon enough
Default HLCS - Helicos BioSciences Corp. (NASDAQ)

Hey there Rants,

Been a while. I always like to come out and give you some details on a stock pick of mine. God knows they usually work out well, but you have to be patient and hold a bit. A month is good.

HLCS is a small company that came out with the most powerful and fastest DNA Sequencing machine ever built by man. The usual cost is in the hundreds of millions for DNA sequencing, because you need to have hundreds of lab techs and huge equipment, like the computers in the '50s.

HLCS is the like Apple, or Microsoft in the beginning of the '80s. They started selling a portable machine for single molecule dna sequencing, it's the size of a refrigerator, that only needs 3 lab techs and costs about 1 million. So, right now it takes 4 weeks and $50k to sequence someone's DNA with that. It could cost as low as $1000 and take a day with enough experience.

The machine uses reagents, yielding $300k/year per machine and sold by HLCS. Right now, they have about 7 machines delivered, and most of the clients are biotechnology companies that want to find hereditary diseases in the DNA and the solution to go with it. At this price, the machine is available world-wide for many research applications and DNA cures (aka prevention cures) is the future, and when an application is found these machines are going to be in every hospital on the planet. So, take it with a grain of salt, but I expect to see hundreds of these machines sold in the next year or so, with a 100% market share.

If you're not patient, consider this as a buyout target as well.

Last edited by Miles; 08-26-2009 at 12:53 PM..
Etiennester is offline   6 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:59 PM   Nav to Top  #5
andre3k1
Senior Trader

andre3k1 is a jewel in the roughandre3k1 is a jewel in the roughandre3k1 is a jewel in the roughandre3k1 is a jewel in the rough

what happened last week between thursday/friday? stock seems to have jumped up drastically and I can't find a reason anywhere.
andre3k1 is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:04 PM   Nav to Top  #6
Etiennester
UberTrader

Etiennester will become famous soon enoughEtiennester will become famous soon enough

They announced the delivery of another machine. So far, 2 in a month were sold. Every sale is better than expected, the stock is low because of some guys that think the company won't sell a thing. If they keep up with 2/month these coming months, we should see $4-5
Etiennester is offline   1 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:22 PM   Nav to Top  #7
Miles
Seeking Bottoms

Favorites: LVS, FAS/FAZ, POT
Miles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond repute
Did I help?
Send a message via AIM to Miles Send a message via Skype™ to Miles

Merging thread with existing HLCS thread by money123.

Yeah this is a solid company and I agree with your analysis Etien. Lots of upside here, maybe even a 5 bagger if you have patience.
Please note that all information on securities I provide is merely my own opinion and any advice given is purely speculative and should not under any circumstances be considered investment advice. You alone are solely responsible for determining whether any investment, security or strategy, or any other product or service, is appropriate or suitable for you based on your investment objectives and personal and financial situation.

Last edited by Miles; 08-26-2009 at 01:25 PM..
Miles is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:25 PM   Nav to Top  #8
Etiennester
UberTrader

I saw his thread but I needed to reiterate it as a Strong Buy. It's not a stock you want to just watch, because it'll go up pre-market and you'll miss the major leg up every time there's news.
Etiennester is offline   1 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:32 PM   Nav to Top  #9
Miles
Seeking Bottoms

Favorites: LVS, FAS/FAZ, POT
Miles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond reputeMiles has a reputation beyond repute
Did I help?
Send a message via AIM to Miles Send a message via Skype™ to Miles

Originally Posted by Etiennester View Post
I saw his thread but I needed to reiterate it as a Strong Buy. It's not a stock you want to just watch, because it'll go up pre-market and you'll miss the major leg up every time there's news.
Jeez you're right, I should have left it alone - sorry about that. Was trying to get fancy. Money123 will likely reiterate this thread as a strong buy as well.

...ok now to catch this stock, I definitely want to take a position.
Please note that all information on securities I provide is merely my own opinion and any advice given is purely speculative and should not under any circumstances be considered investment advice. You alone are solely responsible for determining whether any investment, security or strategy, or any other product or service, is appropriate or suitable for you based on your investment objectives and personal and financial situation.
Miles is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:21 PM   Nav to Top  #10
andre3k1
Senior Trader

andre3k1 is a jewel in the roughandre3k1 is a jewel in the roughandre3k1 is a jewel in the roughandre3k1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Etiennester View Post
They announced the delivery of another machine. So far, 2 in a month were sold. Every sale is better than expected, the stock is low because of some guys that think the company won't sell a thing. If they keep up with 2/month these coming months, we should see $4-5
$4-5 ???

i think i might pick this one up in my long term account. All they have to do is sell 2/month and I have faith. brb, calling possible vendors on their behalf!

thanks for the tip!
andre3k1 is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote