Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 AM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » Public Stock Forums » Rumors & News » Swine flu

Old 04-27-2009, 01:39 AM   Nav to Top  #1
Thomas J Benthem
VIP Trader

Favorites: LVS, GE, XL
Thomas J Benthem is a glorious beacon of lightThomas J Benthem is a glorious beacon of lightThomas J Benthem is a glorious beacon of lightThomas J Benthem is a glorious beacon of lightThomas J Benthem is a glorious beacon of lightThomas J Benthem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Swine flu

So I just went out to eat to a famous pork restaurant nearby my house. I eat there usually once a week and every time I have been there its almost always completely full with a line of people wait for take-out. Today when I went only 2 other customers showed up while I was dining-in in the middle of lunch time.

Before Taiwan was hit pretty hard by SARS, and last year with the Chinese powdered milk poisoning, people are really careful about what they do or eat when it comes to disease.

Already stocks are getting hit here in Asia. Airlines and tourism are down already, while health care and chicken are up.
Thomas J Benthem is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:20 PM   Nav to Top  #2
Thomas J Benthem
VIP Trader

Thomas J Benthem is a glorious beacon of lightThomas J Benthem is a glorious beacon of lightThomas J Benthem is a glorious beacon of lightThomas J Benthem is a glorious beacon of lightThomas J Benthem is a glorious beacon of lightThomas J Benthem is a glorious beacon of light

It really is funny about my trip to the pork restaurant. Because you can't even get the flu from eating pork. Geeze, people are really paranoid here.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:06 PM   Nav to Top  #3
terson
VIP Trader

Favorites: LVS CPRK
terson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to behold

That is because of "FEAR".. I remember people in HK and China.. They boil vinegar to kill the gems in the air.. The regular price for a bottle of vinegar is $5.. and shoot up to $100 a bottle!!

Last edited by terson; 04-27-2009 at 02:09 PM..
terson is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:43 PM   Nav to Top  #4
Kyle
VIP Trader

Favorites: DTSI, FWLT, HSTX
Kyle is a splendid one to beholdKyle is a splendid one to beholdKyle is a splendid one to beholdKyle is a splendid one to beholdKyle is a splendid one to beholdKyle is a splendid one to beholdKyle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Thomas J Benthem View Post
It really is funny about my trip to the pork restaurant. Because you can't even get the flu from eating pork. Geeze, people are really paranoid here.
Here comes the question:

How can the WHO be so certain the pig flu will not spread like the bird flu from eating animals?
Kyle is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 PM   Nav to Top  #5
Thomas J Benthem
VIP Trader

I am not an expert, just I read that the virus has mutated when it went human to human. Thus, any virus in a pig, is still the old virus. I suppose that another strand could mutate though...
Old 04-29-2009, 06:32 PM   Nav to Top  #6
Mendy
UberTrader

Favorites: LVS SPG SKF
Mendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond reputeMendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default The World Health Organization raises pandemic alert to 5!

WHO raises pandemic alert to second-highest level - CNN.com

I am looking to maybe buy now in AH SKF and SRS with the alert level being raised after hours and chances of more cases coming up by tomorrow morning, does anyone believe the futures will be able to stay positive?

In regards to SRS, SKF, FAZ all you need is for the futures to fall a bit and were good...

Also we had a nice run up today, pullback due...

"This market right now is moving on nothing more than emotions. Guess what? It almost always moves on emotions."
Mendy is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:39 PM   Nav to Top  #7
terson
VIP Trader

Favorites: LVS CPRK
terson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to beholdterson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Thomas J Benthem View Post
I am not an expert, just I read that the virus has mutated when it went human to human. Thus, any virus in a pig, is still the old virus. I suppose that another strand could mutate though...
Yes, pigs can get the flu, but death is rare. From them, its passed from human to human.., like any normal flu. The virus mutates every 40 years or so, leading to a pandemic. In 1918, the flu killed between 30-50 million people around the world....
terson is offline   2 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 PM   Nav to Top  #8
Baz
VIP Trader

Favorites: LVS, FNM, XL
Baz is a splendid one to beholdBaz is a splendid one to beholdBaz is a splendid one to beholdBaz is a splendid one to beholdBaz is a splendid one to beholdBaz is a splendid one to beholdBaz is a splendid one to beholdBaz is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Baz Send a message via Yahoo to Baz Send a message via Skype™ to Baz

Originally Posted by Mendy View Post
WHO raises pandemic alert to second-highest level - CNN.com

I am looking to maybe buy now in AH SKF and SRS with the alert level being raised after hours and chances of more cases coming up by tomorrow morning, does anyone believe the futures will be able to stay positive?

In regards to SRS, SKF, FAZ all you need is for the futures to fall a bit and were good...

Also we had a nice run up today, pullback due...
Mendy, NVAX is a good buy if you can get in around $3. I posted this link on other thread. How Fast Could a Swine Flu Vaccine Be Produced? - TIME I searched on google and it is basically all over the internet.
Baz is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:49 PM   Nav to Top  #9
AdamJ
UberTrader

Favorites: OPC WTN GCE IAE QEC ITX
AdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant future

Well guys I just talked with one of my old bosses and this strain of the virus did not come from pork. As for the food safety all I can tell you is what they are doing and all their supply goes to Maple Leaf.

If someone is sick they are suppose to take sick days and I know the bio-security measures in place so, based on the incubation time of three or four days prior to symptoms showing the likelihood of transmission to pigs is actually very slim. You have to shower in and constantly wash your hands both out of need and depending on the task at hand.

There's a greater likelihood in smaller operations and organic farms due to the absence of solid bio-security measures but, even then I'd say the risk is pretty slim. Sick animals are isolated and never sent to market and most major slaughter houses employ a number of measures on intake.

This is a prime example of how uninformed most people are about the supply chain but, then again this is only one packer who has had a fully integrated quality control standards for at least ten years that I know of.
AdamJ is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:02 PM   Nav to Top  #10
SK_
UberTrader

SK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb How to avoid Swine Flu...

Don't do this.

Last edited by SK_; 04-30-2009 at 07:37 PM..
SK_ is offline   1 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote

Tags
airlines, flu