Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 PM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » General Forums » Traders Lounge » Rants & Blather » LOST ALL MY $ IN A MUTUAL FUND,NEED ADVICE

Old 10-12-2011, 03:06 AM   Nav to Top  #1
jose marra
Junior Trader

Favorites: IPHAX-TYHYX-PYICY
jose marra is on a distinguished road
Default LOST ALL MY $ IN A MUTUAL FUND,NEED ADVICE

I was investing in what i think was a ( mutual fund) i only had $2,000.in it , this "fund" was being ran by local accounting/brokerage firm that i've known for years well,they drew up contracts took down all my info, even social security #, i wrote them a check for 2 grand,they gave me a contract,it was all notarized in front of me,saying that i would get my$5k back in 3months with a return of 25% and i would get back a total of $6250...it all looked very legal,i did some research into them and no red flags came up( all clean).they had been doing this fund since 1999 without any legal issues..id say 4months into it,i get a call from a man saying he was a lawyer,telling that the company/fund was broke/bankrupted and that my money was gone & everybody that invested in this fund lost it all too..a pal of mine had $30k in this fund & he lost it too..then id say 6months after they closed up shop i get a phone call from the "fund manager" saying that everybody was getting there $$ back,but that it could take up to 3yrs ......my questions to the members of this site is>> does this sound like a legal mutual fund or something else to you guys?..& what happens when a " mutual fund" goes bankrupted, do all the investors loose it all?..also i have be talking to other investors that lost it all too & there's a rumor that the "fund manager" could possibly still be operating this fund & making $,,,is there any way to find out if this fund is still operating & making $$$?..and is there any ways of finding out if the "fund manager " & its fund or firm have any money in any bank accounts?..thank u all
jose marra is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:02 AM   Nav to Top  #2
Saintjames
UberTrader

Favorites: TSE:COS | TSE:CPG | TSE:LRE
Saintjames has much to be proud ofSaintjames has much to be proud ofSaintjames has much to be proud ofSaintjames has much to be proud ofSaintjames has much to be proud ofSaintjames has much to be proud ofSaintjames has much to be proud ofSaintjames has much to be proud ofSaintjames has much to be proud of
Did I help?

Originally Posted by jose marra View Post
,is there any way to find out if this fund is still operating & making $$$?
You could start by giving us the name of the mutual fund, or doing some research online with Google. Perhaps you can find other investors in your same position.

Usually mutual fund managers manage large and diversified baskets of stocks for investors and make commission. It is very possible with the recent turn down in the markets these guys got into trouble and are now bankrupt.
Saintjames is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:04 PM   Nav to Top  #3
Ted85050
Junior Trader

Favorites: LVS, HAL, TASR
Ted85050 is on a distinguished road

I think Mutual Funds should be illegal or AT LEAST the fund manager should be required to disclose all the trades he approved and be held accluntable for them. If his fund (his clients... us) loses money, he dosen't get paid.
Ted85050 is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:30 PM   Nav to Top  #4
Mr.Index
Trader

Favorites: APL, WMT, MCD
Mr.Index has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Index has a spectacular aura about
Default Sad story but it

Hi Jose,

You posted some months back. I hope you are better now. I am really shocked to read your story. You said they were operating since 1999! That means they were there for long 12 years, and you had the bad luck that you invested in their 'last' year.

You can try to get the papers they had. They might be obliged to tell where the money were being invested. Those papers may (if you are able to get your hands on them) may help you to get a picture whether they were making profit or not.

Thank you and take care.
Mr.Index is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 PM   Nav to Top  #5
Dommanick
Junior Trader

Favorites: appl vlo aa
Dommanick is on a distinguished road

Here on after I would recommend you get a report from the BBB the Better Business Bureau The U.S. government consumer protection tool. Secondly I think you need to seek a lawyer
Dommanick is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:02 AM   Nav to Top  #6
MarkSimms
Junior Trader

Location: 2220 Meridian Blvd Suite # O2331 Minden, NV 89423 USA
Favorites: none
MarkSimms is on a distinguished road

Your brokerage firm was probably covered by SIPC Insurance (The Securities Investor Protection Corporation). SIPC protects customers of SIPC-member broker-dealers if the firm fails financially. Coverage is up to $500,000 per customer for all accounts at the same institution, including a $250,000 limit for cash. Although SIPC does not protect you when the value of your investments falls.
MarkSimms is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote