Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 PM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » General Forums » Traders Lounge » Rants & Blather » Swine Flu out of Proportion

Old 04-29-2009, 02:10 PM   Nav to Top  #1
AKrider
VIP Trader

Favorites: SD, BCF, BIPH
AKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant future
Default Swine Flu out of Proportion

Is it me or does it seem like the media is blowing this thing out of proportion. I understand that it has been classified as a phase 5 pandemic, meaning two or more countries have reported cases of it, but I just calculated the percentage of people who have it and it hardly seems like an outbreak. So far 91 people have been infected. That is 0.00003% of the american people based off of a 300,000,000 population. Does anyone know how fast this thing spreads? More people die every year from the common flu!!!:
  • The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that 35 to 50 million Americans come down with the flu during each flu season.
  • The CDC estimates that in the US more than 100,000 people are hospitalized and more than 20,000 people die from the flu and its complications every year.

Am I missing something? That would mean that the flu is killing far more americans than the Swine Flu. I do understand that this outbreak has just started and that there is no vaccination for the swine flu YET.. but there is one in the making that will come out in 4 to 6 months. Even with the vaccination the common flu is killing more than the swine flu has.

Anyone know more about this?
AKrider is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:14 PM   Nav to Top  #2
chuckd
UberTrader

Favorites: KFN LVS NTE
chuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond repute

I agree completely, Media Hype to the extreme. I think it was a slow news weekend and it kinda got out of control.
All advice from me is guaranteed to be worth at least what you paid for it, or double your money back. All persons dealing with matters of personal finance are advised to gather information from blogs, books, radio and TV, consult with professionals, discuss the matter with anybody who will listen, and then make their own decision.
chuckd is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:16 PM   Nav to Top  #3
AKrider
VIP Trader

AKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant futureAKrider has a brilliant future

Gotta love the media
Old 04-29-2009, 02:40 PM   Nav to Top  #4
AdamJ
UberTrader

Favorites: OPC WTN GCE IAE QEC ITX
AdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant futureAdamJ has a brilliant future

Maybe you should put together a video using pennies to help people understand this better?
Like this guy did for Obama's budget cuts

Better yet, do it with bacon!
AdamJ is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:49 PM   Nav to Top  #5
AKrider
VIP Trader

love it
Old 04-29-2009, 03:43 PM   Nav to Top  #6
Mac
UberTrader

Mac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond repute

ROFL....that's a great video. I think that maybe a majority of Americans have problems with numbers period...let alone big numbers.

I don't know enough about outbreaks to really have any insight. ( while I NEVER trust the mainstream media at face value ).

But I believe that outbreaks/pandemics have an exponential growth curves if not properly contained at initial stages...like a thermo-nuclear explosion...once that critical mass has been reached, there's no stopping it from running it's course.

p.s. remember, it can always go lower, unless it's already at zero.
Mac is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM   Nav to Top  #7
AKrider
VIP Trader

Yah I think you might be right. I just heard something about a previous influenza outbreak in the 70s(?). The swine flu IS a strain of influenza. So far though the swine flu does not seem to be very contagious.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:15 PM   Nav to Top  #8
bhcfinance
VIP Trader

Favorites: LVS, XL, INTC
bhcfinance is a name known to allbhcfinance is a name known to allbhcfinance is a name known to allbhcfinance is a name known to allbhcfinance is a name known to allbhcfinance is a name known to all

Swine Flu - Swine Flu Symptoms - What Is Swine Flu - Swine Flu Treatment
I personally think Webmd covers it best.
bhcfinance is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:41 AM   Nav to Top  #9
AndyB
Pro Charting Wannabe

Favorites: $SPX GGG.L ARSLF
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

Swine flu has previously surfaced in 1976. It was a hugely hyped scare and involved mass innoculations, which typically made patients ill. It was described (with 20:20 hindsight) as "the epidemic that never was"

1976: The swine flu scare

Of interest, there are on average 174 deaths per day in the US by seasonal flu, but I never saw that make the headlines!

Deaths from Flu - WrongDiagnosis.com

I'm using a stoploss at my break-even on SFEG. Production is delayed.
AndyB is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:40 PM   Nav to Top  #10
piccooar
UberTrader

Favorites: BIPH, CTIC, HEB
piccooar has a brilliant futurepiccooar has a brilliant futurepiccooar has a brilliant futurepiccooar has a brilliant futurepiccooar has a brilliant futurepiccooar has a brilliant futurepiccooar has a brilliant futurepiccooar has a brilliant futurepiccooar has a brilliant futurepiccooar has a brilliant futurepiccooar has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to piccooar

90 or so cases of Swine Flu in USA and everybody runs out to buy a mask to wear... Millions of cases of Aids worldwide and still some people won't wear a condom!
piccooar is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote