Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 PM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » Public Stock Forums » Online Brokers » Best UK Broker?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:16 AM   Nav to Top  #1
GDUB
Junior Trader

GDUB is on a distinguished road
Default Best UK Broker?

I'm on Lloyds TSB Share Dealing and it is complete shit!

So slow & not a very intuitive site.

Anyone got any recommendations for a better site?

Cheers,

G
GDUB is offline   1 thumbs up / 0 thumbs down. Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:40 AM   Nav to Top  #2
AndyB
Pro Charting Wannabe

Favorites: $SPX GGG.L ARSLF
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mate,

I use e-trade and am very satisfied with them. I have an ISA and a dealer account so I can take advantage of tax benefits where possible.

I have used in the past selftrade, but I found that under high volume conditions their site would just lock up, leaving you as a bag holder while stocks plummet. E-trade I have not tested under such conditions..

Also I use IG Index | Spread Betting | Financial Spread Betting which is a spread-bet firm. You can buy/sell/short stocks here tax free and you get free real-time charts if you execute 2 trades per month. They cover most the big stocks, NYSE, LSE as well as commodities, futures. IF you want to trade a stock on a spreadbet then you don't buy the daily contract, buy the June or Sept one.

You'll see if you sign up for an account, say you wanted to buy RBS at 50p (Lol! Optimistic bulls eh) then search for "RBS" and you'll see 4 entries. One will be called "RBS Daily" another "RBS June", "RBS Sept" and possibly "RBS Dec". THe longer contracts have wider spreads but if you're planning to hold longer these are better.

Then if you wanted to buy £500 worth of RBS at 50p you'd select £10/pt (calculate how much you'll need to cover the stock by price + £/pt) and buy it. ALso in spreadbet you could buy RBS at £10/pt with less money in your account, say £100 this is called using margin. However if RBS dropped to 40p your £100 would be wiped out. Personally for stocks/shares I use no more than 2:1 margin. For the indices no more than 10:1. TO play it safe, don't use margin at all!

Good luck to you,

I'm using a stoploss at my break-even on SFEG. Production is delayed.
AndyB is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:58 AM   Nav to Top  #3
PanKleks
VIP Trader

Favorites: AV, BARC, XL
PanKleks is a name known to allPanKleks is a name known to allPanKleks is a name known to allPanKleks is a name known to allPanKleks is a name known to allPanKleks is a name known to all

I use www.iii.co.uk. I have nothing to compare it to but it has been fine for me. No major technical issues or anything like that. Not sure if they are actually owned by HBOS but they use Halifax's Share Dealing platform.
PanKleks is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:08 AM   Nav to Top  #4
Temujin
Omniscient Trader

Favorites: LVS, MGM, XL
Temujin is a splendid one to beholdTemujin is a splendid one to beholdTemujin is a splendid one to beholdTemujin is a splendid one to beholdTemujin is a splendid one to beholdTemujin is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Temujin

I use Halifax, they are Ok, do the job i guess.. but not to pretty or much interaction with regards to getting lots of information about stocks.. also not to happy about the way they seem to purchase shares for me.. For example I purchase 500 shares at 5.00, they seem to buy 200 @ 5.00, 100 @ 5.01, 100 @ 5.015 and 100 @ 5.009.. maybe thats just the way things work.. why not 500 @ 5??

Anyway intrested to see what you guys use.. how much do you get charged per transaction? Halifax charge me £17.50!! Seems quite expensive as this is for online trades.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 AM   Nav to Top  #5
MagsBags
Junior Trader

Favorites: AFR.L, MDW.L, PUB.L
MagsBags is a jewel in the roughMagsBags is a jewel in the roughMagsBags is a jewel in the roughMagsBags is a jewel in the rough

I also use Halifax. Seems to work ok.

£17.50 for US trades and £12.50 + stamp duty for UK trades.

Analysis tools are poor so really just use it to trade.

Otherwise it's fine I guess. Not spectacular but does the job.
MagsBags is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:37 PM   Nav to Top  #6
samnorris
Junior Trader

Favorites: LON:AFR, NYSE:EXM, NYSE:TNK
samnorris is a jewel in the roughsamnorris is a jewel in the roughsamnorris is a jewel in the rough

I use the sharedealing account with Bank of Scotland. Tools and info are pretty poor. I'm looking into the Hargreaves Lansdown account - anybody got any info or fedback on them?
Martin Lewis bangs on about them on his site for ISAs and SIPPs.

Sam
samnorris is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 PM   Nav to Top  #7
slarty
littlefish bigpond

Favorites: moni, tcm, chns
slarty is a splendid one to beholdslarty is a splendid one to beholdslarty is a splendid one to beholdslarty is a splendid one to beholdslarty is a splendid one to beholdslarty is a splendid one to behold
Default Hoodless

People seem to put up with alot here,... high fees, crap service, etc, etc.
Although I'm looking for a better broker, I presently use Hoodless Brennan, they charge me 8.00GBP per trade, going down to 6.50 with over 25 trades per qtr, as a credit refund.
They are not error free, but pretty good in my experience, trouble is they only do LSE listed stocks.
They've got a decent phone trade service if you can't do it on line for some reason.
Research pages, etc.

I also use Barclays Stockbroker for my ISA, tax free, but of course there are only certain stocks that you can put in that, but there system is pretty good for company details.
12.95 per trade, but goes down to 6.95 with 25 trades or more per month (read the small print,- a little more complicated than that!)
This one has been so popular they are having trouble with the volume of hits at peak periods, but they are trying to solve it ( so they tell us!!)

Slarty
slarty is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:14 PM   Nav to Top  #8
GDUB
Junior Trader

GDUB is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I think I'll probably give e-trade a try (if its good I might have to buy in on some of their cheap stock XD) but also interested in opinons on Hargreaves Lansdown if anyone uses them.

The Lloyds site is just too slow, has been locked up through most of the trading day for the last few days.

G
GDUB is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:49 PM   Nav to Top  #9
samnorris
Junior Trader

Favorites: LON:AFR, NYSE:EXM, NYSE:TNK
samnorris is a jewel in the roughsamnorris is a jewel in the roughsamnorris is a jewel in the rough

I'm now looking to change after Bank of scotland advised I can not buy off the TSE. Was trying to buy BCF for the last couple of days and couldn't so missed out on a 130% jump. Yes.. my face looks like this

I've looked through the Hargreaves share account and here are some pitfalls

No fixed rate... so if your trading higher values they sting you for it

Internet share dealing (per deal):

£0-£499.99 £9.95
£500-£1,999.99 £14.95
£2,000-£3,999.99 £19.95
£4,000-£19,999.99 £24.95
£20,000+ £29.95

or you go for the regular trader option with a flat rate per deal and a qtrly management fee
Internet share dealing (per deal):

Low cost flat rate dealing at £9.95 when buying shares and selling shares.

Small quarterly management fee of £12.50 per quarter giving access to this very low cost service.

Trading internationally will cost you extra
Non UK Shares are subject to an additional £5 bargain charge. PLUS Markets and Residual Shares will be charged at £25 minimum or 1.5%.

No online trading for international shares.
Non UK shares and PLUS Markets shares can only be dealt over the telephone.

I need an account were I have access to the American, Canadian, UK, European markets and able to trade online when I want to. e-trade will get look this evening. Any others???
samnorris is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:37 PM   Nav to Top  #10
prezzy
Junior Trader

Favorites: COF, LSE:SHI
prezzy has a spectacular aura aboutprezzy has a spectacular aura aboutprezzy has a spectacular aura about

I use Free Portfolio, Share dealing, ISAs, PEPs, SIPPs, CFDs, Spread betting - Interactive Investor, The internet platform seems stable although I have nothing to compare. One frustration I have though is when buying outside of the UK markets their x-rate is clearly another revenue stream for them. Be aware of your buy & sell x-rate's it can have a significant impact to your margin.
prezzy is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote