Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 PM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » General Forums » Traders Lounge » Introductions » Keeping my mind occupied in Afghanistan

Old 09-06-2009, 07:18 PM   Nav to Top  #1
K10AV8R
Junior Trader

Favorites: AAPL, XOM, T
K10AV8R is on a distinguished road
Default Keeping my mind occupied in Afghanistan

I retired from the military recently and couldn’t find a stable job as a pilot in the US so I’m in Afghanistan as a contractor for a while. I have no TV but I do have internet and am looking to make some money with my money.

My recent purchases where BIEL at 0.07, CTIC at 1.5, and XOM at 68.00. My research ability is limited so I’m looking for advise on these and others.
K10AV8R is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:01 PM   Nav to Top  #2
andre3k1
Senior Trader

andre3k1 is a jewel in the roughandre3k1 is a jewel in the roughandre3k1 is a jewel in the roughandre3k1 is a jewel in the rough

welcome. you've definitely come to the right place for good advice (versus pump n dumps)

definitely lurk around in the forums and see what other guys are saying.
andre3k1 is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:06 PM   Nav to Top  #3
Fishes
Junior Trader

Favorites: CMO MJN NGD
Fishes will become famous soon enough
Default Welcom!

Welcome. I too started the way you have! I do earn some money but my business is off and the income is about what unemployment would be! I had some cash. Decided the bank does not pay enough. So Wall Street here I am. What an experience!

My advice is to read every thing you can! Either on line or books. Avoid the info for money sites! They sound great but there are a ton of free resources on the Web! Just Google what it is your looking for and your choices are almost unlimited! This site is excellent so far!

I use Motley Fools free stuff and have taken advantage of their trials and then canceled when the trial is done! The brokers all have educational stuff and things that give good info to help with your investing! I use Yahoo Finance for news and tracking my portfolios in one place! News for your stocks is always important and Yahoo, Google finance, AOL etc all have good resources!

Keep your costs per trade down! I use Share Builders, Think or Swim and Zecco. SB has a feature for $20.00 per month that allows you to trade on Mondays for Tuesday morning trades and they are free! That helps for your long term investments. Not great for Day or Momentum trading!

Zecco is $4.50 each trade. TOS is either $5.00 or 9.95. If you order over say 400 shares they charge .00125 per share and the fee can accelerate quickly if you buy thousands! TOS has the best Charting of the three that I use! You are on your own when it comes time to press "buy" or "sell" and you need to pay attention because it is real easy to screw up and it can cost you! Support for each site has been pretty good for me.

Decide early on what type of trader you are and stay true to it! I have done Day, Buy and Hold and Momentum Trading! When things are rallying like they have since March lows buy and hold is great! You can keep your per trade cost down! However, it does not allow you take advantage of short term profit opportunities or loss avoidance as the other two styles! I like all three! However, I am told that it is best to choose one and refine it.

I really am not experienced enough to give you technical insights! I am learning that end. It can take years to gain experience to learn to read charts effectively! I do know it is as much art as science!

This site appears to have some experienced and successful traders! Find one and follow them! It may be profitable! Always remember you are on your own! Let the buyer beware is the rule of law. Do your own research (Do Diligence) before you spend! No body cares about you like you will!

Good luck!

Last edited by Fishes; 09-06-2009 at 09:20 PM..
Fishes is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:48 PM   Nav to Top  #4
zippy
Senior Trader

Favorites: AAPL, AMD, NVDA
zippy has a spectacular aura aboutzippy has a spectacular aura aboutzippy has a spectacular aura about

welcome! much respect to you for your work overseas brother

...keep an eye on the forums, plenty of great traders here to assist.
zippy is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 AM   Nav to Top  #5
K10AV8R
Junior Trader

Thanks...great advice

Last edited by Miles; 09-07-2009 at 12:55 AM..
Old 09-16-2009, 12:16 PM   Nav to Top  #6
victoria
VIP Trader

Favorites: xl aks ge
victoria is a splendid one to beholdvictoria is a splendid one to beholdvictoria is a splendid one to beholdvictoria is a splendid one to beholdvictoria is a splendid one to beholdvictoria is a splendid one to beholdvictoria is a splendid one to behold
Did I help?

Welcome. Thanks for your past service to our country! It must be rough in Afghanistan-from TV it looks like a very hard place to live. Stocks are a favorite past time. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 PM   Nav to Top  #7
K10AV8R
Junior Trader

Only a favorite pastime for me if they go in the correct direction:)

Tags
BIEL, CTIC, XOM