Tax Season is Here! Save 15% on H&R Block Online
iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:19 AM. | Search:

» StockRants Stock Forum » General Forums » Traders Lounge » Introductions » Hey Guys!

Old 05-24-2009, 12:56 AM   Nav to Top  #1
riches2rags2
UberTrader

Favorites: RMDM, IMGG, CBAI, ZVTK, ARTS
riches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond repute
Did I help?
Send a message via Yahoo to riches2rags2
Default Hey Guys!

I am a relatively new trader - about three months or so. I have experienced some 'beginner's luck', so it's been mostly fun so far. But I do have a few battle scars already as well. . . I am hoping to become a more skillful trader over time, because I know that my sh*t luck won't last forever. LOL

I have jumped around this site reading various posts, and I must say that I am quite impressed! I like the vibe. We all have our strengths, and I am willing to share whatever I can whenever I can. I am looking forward to some positive exchange.

I am a bit stressed right now because I am holding some shares in HEB. And that tanked yesterday, when I expected it would go the other way . . . But time will tell with that one. I'm glad I didn't bet the farm. But then again, if the best possible thing happens, I'll wish I did . . . LOL

Well anyway, thanks for having me guys!
riches2rags2 is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:00 AM   Nav to Top  #2
chuckd
UberTrader

Favorites: KFN LVS NTE
chuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond reputechuckd has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome riches2rags2 !! Glad to have you on board.
All advice from me is guaranteed to be worth at least what you paid for it, or double your money back. All persons dealing with matters of personal finance are advised to gather information from blogs, books, radio and TV, consult with professionals, discuss the matter with anybody who will listen, and then make their own decision.
chuckd is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:07 AM   Nav to Top  #3
KaPow
Banned

Favorites: RIMM JPM POT
KaPow is infamous around these parts

Welcome r2r2! Of all stocks in the world, why did you choose HEB? Did you jump on this board because of that particular holding? Many peeps here seem to like it, after all.

Originally Posted by riches2rags2 View Post
I am a relatively new trader - about three months or so. I have experienced some 'beginner's luck', so it's been mostly fun so far. But I do have a few battle scars already as well. . . I am hoping to become a more skillful trader over time, because I know that my sh*t luck won't last forever. LOL

I have jumped around this site reading various posts, and I must say that I am quite impressed! I like the vibe. We all have our strengths, and I am willing to share whatever I can whenever I can. I am looking forward to some positive exchange.

I am a bit stressed right now because I am holding some shares in HEB. And that tanked yesterday, when I expected it would go the other way . . . But time will tell with that one. I'm glad I didn't bet the farm. But then again, if the best possible thing happens, I'll wish I did . . . LOL

Well anyway, thanks for having me guys!
KaPow is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:04 AM   Nav to Top  #4
riches2rags2
UberTrader

riches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond reputeriches2rags2 has a reputation beyond repute
Did I help?

Thanks guys,

And KaPow, to answer your question, I started off back in early March with GM bonds. I have a brother out in Texas who had just done well with AIG bonds. He gained about $47K in February with AIG, and then decided to use about $40 to buy GM bonds. He did that because Obama had said several times that 'America will NOT let GM fail, because GM was the back bone of the whole US economy.' - or something along those lines. Here you have a US president making that claim before and after he was elected, so my brother believed him, and so did I.

The bond prices came down fairly low when I got in, because of all the talk of a 'possible' bankruptcy. But I got in lower than my more experienced older brother, and the pps stared climbing immediately. I stood to gain about 8 or 9 fold IF I were able to take the original settlement deal offered by GM at the time. But then came the 'wild card' - the Obama Auto Task Force. And we didn't see that coming. We thought that he was a man of his word, but then all of a sudden, Wagner was fired, the GM settlement offer that we were expecting was 'off the table', and they started changing the rules. Bond prices tumbled, and I got out at about where I started.

I knew that the bondholders might make out better in bankruptcy court than what GM was being forced to offer by the task force, but I decided I did not want to wait months - possibly years for that. And there was no guarantee. So I got out and started looking at stocks.

I got some GE, some DELL, RAD and CTIC. I got into GE and DELL because I wanted to have some of my holding in big established companies, and GE pays dividends similar to what I got used to with the bonds. But guess where my largest gains were coming from out of this group? They were from RAD and especially CTIC. I got into RAD when it was just over .50, and CTIC at .46. So with CTIC, my interest in penny stocks was born. Then, to finally answer your question, I found HEB being discussed in Yahoo and Google message boards.

I think I was on Google's CTIC discussion board when some lady came in and asked: 'You guys know anything about HEB?' So then I started checking that one out. I found that they had a product possibly ready for FDA approval before CTIC would. So I grabbed a conservative position with them, (2000 shares @ about .80) and held them past the first spike of over $2. I saw some profit taking happen, and then I saw another spike in the making. This time, I decided to grab some profits so I sold @ 1.85. I kicked myself a little, because it peaked at about $2.30. And it stayed over $2 in AH trading.

I had a feeling there would be some more profit taking early the next day, so I would buy back in as low as I could. And sure enough, just before the bell the pps began a free fall to somewhere in the $1.30s. I bought back in 6000 shares @ $1.40. And at that time I thought the price would not drop below that level ever again. There seemed to be a level of strong resistance @ around $1.37 or so. But I was wrong. Who ever was watching HEB saw what happened Friday.

And by the way, I have a confession to make. . . I WAS THE GUY!

I was the guy who had a stop loss set at $1.11 - which was evidently a 'rookie mistake', and some dude stole my shares! I quickly bought back in @ $1.25, but I lost about 500 of my shares in the process. :-(

And then in Friday AH trading, I watched the price stay fairly level between 1.33 - 1.35 most of the time, but then she fell off to 1.21. I grew a bit anxious, and even put in sell order for some of it. But for some reason, I put a high order in - like 1.87 - just in case it started going up near the end. So now I am sitting on 5500 shares of HEB waiting for the eventual news - good or not . . .

Sorry for the ramble. Just wanted to give you some background. I will edit my profile when I get around to it, and good luck to all of you! . . . Well good luck to all EXCEPT the guy who stole my shares! LOL!
Old 05-24-2009, 09:10 AM   Nav to Top  #5
vsawri
UberTrader

Favorites: LVS AZ HUN KV.A
vsawri has a reputation beyond reputevsawri has a reputation beyond reputevsawri has a reputation beyond reputevsawri has a reputation beyond reputevsawri has a reputation beyond reputevsawri has a reputation beyond reputevsawri has a reputation beyond reputevsawri has a reputation beyond reputevsawri has a reputation beyond reputevsawri has a reputation beyond reputevsawri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to vsawri Send a message via Yahoo to vsawri

welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by riches2rags2 View Post
Thanks guys,

And KaPow, to answer your question, I started off back in early March with GM bonds. I have a brother out in Texas who had just done well with AIG bonds. He gained about $47K in February with AIG, and then decided to use about $40 to buy GM bonds. He did that because Obama had said several times that 'America will NOT let GM fail, because GM was the back bone of the whole US economy.' - or something along those lines. Here you have a US president making that claim before and after he was elected, so my brother believed him, and so did I.

The bond prices came down fairly low when I got in, because of all the talk of a 'possible' bankruptcy. But I got in lower than my more experienced older brother, and the pps stared climbing immediately. I stood to gain about 8 or 9 fold IF I were able to take the original settlement deal offered by GM at the time. But then came the 'wild card' - the Obama Auto Task Force. And we didn't see that coming. We thought that he was a man of his word, but then all of a sudden, Wagner was fired, the GM settlement offer that we were expecting was 'off the table', and they started changing the rules. Bond prices tumbled, and I got out at about where I started.

I knew that the bondholders might make out better in bankruptcy court than what GM was being forced to offer by the task force, but I decided I did not want to wait months - possibly years for that. And there was no guarantee. So I got out and started looking at stocks.

I got some GE, some DELL, RAD and CTIC. I got into GE and DELL because I wanted to have some of my holding in big established companies, and GE pays dividends similar to what I got used to with the bonds. But guess where my largest gains were coming from out of this group? They were from RAD and especially CTIC. I got into RAD when it was just over .50, and CTIC at .46. So with CTIC, my interest in penny stocks was born. Then, to finally answer your question, I found HEB being discussed in Yahoo and Google message boards.

I think I was on Google's CTIC discussion board when some lady came in and asked: 'You guys know anything about HEB?' So then I started checking that one out. I found that they had a product possibly ready for FDA approval before CTIC would. So I grabbed a conservative position with them, (2000 shares @ about .80) and held them past the first spike of over $2. I saw some profit taking happen, and then I saw another spike in the making. This time, I decided to grab some profits so I sold @ 1.85. I kicked myself a little, because it peaked at about $2.30. And it stayed over $2 in AH trading.

I had a feeling there would be some more profit taking early the next day, so I would buy back in as low as I could. And sure enough, just before the bell the pps began a free fall to somewhere in the $1.30s. I bought back in 6000 shares @ $1.40. And at that time I thought the price would not drop below that level ever again. There seemed to be a level of strong resistance @ around $1.37 or so. But I was wrong. Who ever was watching HEB saw what happened Friday.

And by the way, I have a confession to make. . . I WAS THE GUY!

I was the guy who had a stop loss set at $1.11 - which was evidently a 'rookie mistake', and some dude stole my shares! I quickly bought back in @ $1.25, but I lost about 500 of my shares in the process. :-(

And then in Friday AH trading, I watched the price stay fairly level between 1.33 - 1.35 most of the time, but then she fell off to 1.21. I grew a bit anxious, and even put in sell order for some of it. But for some reason, I put a high order in - like 1.87 - just in case it started going up near the end. So now I am sitting on 5500 shares of HEB waiting for the eventual news - good or not . . .

Sorry for the ramble. Just wanted to give you some background. I will edit my profile when I get around to it, and good luck to all of you! . . . Well good luck to all EXCEPT the guy who stole my shares! LOL!
vsawri is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:37 PM   Nav to Top  #6
SK_
UberTrader

SK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond reputeSK_ has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

A word of welcome! I've enjoyed your posts on HEB, where watching level II is like waiting for Godot!

Here's hoping ur back 2Riches in no time at all
SK_ is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 PM   Nav to Top  #7
riches2rags2
UberTrader

Did I help?

Thank you so much SK!

This HEB ride has been a bit of a roller coaster, but we're still hanging on - and sometimes, for dear life - LOL! But I think there is a good chance that we just might make it out alive.

But seriously, this week has been fairly stable and we are up a dime from yesterday. And in my book, up a dime is better than being down a dime. What the heck! I'll take up a dime every day until FDA approval day! And after that, I'm not exactly sure what we may get. But I'm thinking it just might be more than a dime . . . I'm a hopin' anyway . . .

I also hope that we see a good day tomorrow. It would be nice if tomorrow turns out even better than today. But if it isn't, or if it is more of the same, it's okay with me. Because there is a chance that one day not so far from now might just become truly amazing!

Well I'm getting tired. Gotta get some sleep. Have a good night! See ya tomorrow . . .
Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 PM   Nav to Top  #8
Mac
UberTrader

Mac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond reputeMac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Welcome Aboard

Welcome to StockRants Riches2Rags2.

I think you've come to the right place!

Interesting history with GM bonds...I've got a similar story, except I've never sold...only buying more all the way down. It's speculation that the bondholders will get a better deal in BK than the pitiful debt-to-equity robbery that King Barry and friends have offered.

Check out the "GM Tender Offer" post on this site.

Anyway, good to have you here, and I look forward to mixing it up with you on the boards.

Cheers,

p.s. remember, it can always go lower, unless it's already at zero.
Mac is offline   Rate this post Yes | No Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:51 AM   Nav to Top  #9
riches2rags2
UberTrader

Did I help?

Good morning Mac!

Just armed myself with another potent cup of very good organic coffee, and I am ready to face another day with confidence! . . . I hope . . . Just hoping the tickers are good for my ticker today - lol!

On a more serious note, congratulations on having the fortitude to hang in there with those bonds. And I hope they will work out well for you. I have kept them on my watch list, and have seen their values come back steadily after going all the way down to about a buck a piece. That tells me there is growing confidence that the bondholders just may fare pretty well when this goes into bankruptcy court. And some may have speculated that King Barry & crew might even make some last minute offer that would be more reasonable than the crumbs they originally left on the table.

So good for you, and good for my brother! He still holds about 40,000 of those things. I should call him today and congratulate him. I think he'll be okay now. He must have been nervous for a while, because he bought his at higher prices than I bought mine. And now I see that the current prices have exceeded the prices I paid before.

I just got scared, because it seemed like King Barry & Co. were just NOT going to back off! And at that point I had all my eggs in that basket, and I didn't want to lose them all. So I gradually stared selling them off, making sure to keep certain ones such as RGM past the ex dates so that I could at least get the interest payments.

If I am fortunate enough to garner a windfall with one or more of the stocks I am in now, I would like to get some more bonds in my portfolio - especially in my Roth. I like the idea of those interest payments coming in like clockwork, and once again - especially in my Roth.

Have a good day sir, and best of luck with everything!

Toby (riches2rags2)

Tags
HEB