PDA

View Full Version : Feature: Inline Stock Quotes

Miles
05-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Okay I've been working on this one for a while and I think it's at a point where I can unleash it on you guys. They are mostly just a toy but I think they turned out pretty sweet. They are also cached so they should not slow down our server at all.

Shouts to mytE and yes even the Troll in IRC for the help with these.

Please note the bugs section at the end of this announcement before whining.

Embed Stock Quotes into your Posts
You will see a new button in the Advanced Post editor http://www.stockrants.com/forum/images/editor/stockquote.gif

This will enable you to easily enclose a ticker in tags. Ticker symbols enclosed in tags will display a tiny AJAX'ed stock quote popup.

Examples: [STOCK]AAPL, MSFT, ^FTSE, ^DJI

Please Remember

You MUST use Yahoo Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/) format tickers. Use their site to determine what will work.
Please limit your tickers to 3-5 per post maximum to reduce overhead.

Bugs and Stuff to Fix

FIXED: UK / Asian / Markets graphs are not working as far as I can tell, but the rest of the data comes in (price, volume etc). This is Yahoo Finances' fault but YES I know we have many traders from the UK so this should be fixed soon.
NOTE: These now work, EX: [stock]AFR.L
FIXED: Popups now change where they pop to avoid breaking the viewport of the browser with scrollbars.
When editing a post and changing the ticker symbol within that post you will need to refresh your browser in that thread for the changes to take effect.
Quotes from Yahoo are delayed 20 mins. Unfortunately I know of nobody giving real time quotes and charts for 'a reasonable price'. This will change soon I hope.
Some minor IE display issues.

Prentiss
05-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Nice!

ychamb
05-07-2009, 08:49 AM
That is some elite stuff there miles [cash]

chuckd
05-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Very cool Miles

AdamJ
05-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Nice addition.

Great work Miles.

Superfly
05-07-2009, 11:02 PM
You shall be commended for your work master obiwann :-P jk dude GREAT WORK you have been doing!

AdamJ
05-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Here's a link to the Yahoo page listing the exchange suffixes. Yahoo! Finance - Exchanges (http://finance.yahoo.com/exchanges)

Miles
05-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Yeah basically you will be able to use any North American stock or any world index and get a full chart etc. Most of the other exchanges have a different way to link to the chart image, so we are still working on that, but the rest of the data comes through. Anyways I wanted to get you guys using this but I will post an update once we have the issue with the charts not showing for foreign exchanges asap.

Saintjames
05-08-2009, 01:42 PM
ummm these stock quotes look very very cool in firefox :-o

well done to the site designer!

NYPharmer1
05-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome!

Miles
05-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Okay our Popop stock quotes now work for ALL international markets including of course the UK. Updated the first post with this:

FIXED: UK / Asian / Markets graphs are not working as far as I can tell, but the rest of the data comes in (price, volume etc). This is Yahoo Finances' fault but YES I know we have many traders from the UK so this should be fixed soon.
NOTE: These now work, EX: AFR.L
FIXED: Popups now change where they pop to avoid breaking the viewport of the browser with scrollbars.

Also changed Volume to read a bit easier: 1 million rather than 1000000.

I noticed people are having trouble using these, so I will repeat this that you must use the Yahoo Finance ticker for these to work. Google Finance formatted tickers will NOT work. Quickly search Yahoo Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com) if you do not know the ticker.

inspirational
05-10-2009, 04:00 PM
I suppose you know already but the graphs don't show up in Google Chrome, but as it's in beta then that's not really your problem.

Just in case anyone wonders why they can't see the graphs properly and they're using Chrome.

JonW
05-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Yeah basically you will be able to use any North American stock or any world index and get a full chart etc. Most of the other exchanges have a different way to link to the chart image, so we are still working on that, but the rest of the data comes through. Anyways I wanted to get you guys using this but I will post an update once we have the issue with the charts not showing for foreign exchanges asap.

Miles,

Seriously brilliant work - can't wait for the rest of the world stocks to link too!!

Thanks,
JonW

Miles
05-10-2009, 04:46 PM
See 2 posts up, they all work now. Popups should work for all international stocks and indexes. Here is one from HK: 2357.HK

You guys should start using these in your stock tips related posts and elsewhere you mention tickers for maximum effect. Please read the first post in this thread for info on how to do so.

JonW
05-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Miles,

Check my latest post on OZL OZ Minerals under VIP stock picks - ASX:OZL popping up but no info - am I doing something wrong?

JonW

AdamJ
05-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Miles,

Check my latest post on OZL OZ Minerals under VIP stock picks - ASX:OZL popping up but no info - am I doing something wrong?

JonW

You need to post it with the AX added on like this: OZL.AX

JonW
05-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Cheers Adam, guess that's the Yahoo format Miles already told us about!! :-}

Computer lightweight, that's me!! :-%

Thanks for your help,
JonW

Kiran
05-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Awesome job, this website really is totally pro!

Miles
05-10-2009, 08:07 PM
I suppose you know already but the graphs don't show up in Google Chrome, but as it's in beta then that's not really your problem.

Just in case anyone wonders why they can't see the graphs properly and they're using Chrome.

I am in Chrome now and they are working. They should work in all browsers even IE6.

inspirational
05-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Good work!