PDA

View Full Version : Do we want a chat feature?

Miles
04-28-2009, 06:57 PM
I have a few things (dozens!) that need to be done before May 8th but I was thinking a chat function would be ideal. But then again this might detract users from using the forums. We could certainly give it a try. I could likely set it up and ready for use in a day or two.

What do you guys think? Please vote.

Pashka
04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Excellent idea... if there's a good find people can ask for a post but idiotic suggestions will be rejected real time.

trants
04-28-2009, 08:27 PM
I have a few things (dozens!) that need to be done before May 8th but I was thinking a chat function would be ideal. But then again this might detract users from using the forums. We could certainly give it a try. I could likely set it up and ready for use in a day or two.

What do you guys think? Please vote.

Miles,

This content deleted in the interest of not looking to danged stupid!

Old Eye's LOLOLOLOL

Don't you laugh, your day is coming!!

Mendy
04-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Miles,

I think its really good for us to have a chat room.
It gives short term traders another area to hang out.
I was thinking though if its possible we should maybe have 2 chat rooms.
One for Scalp trades and one for long trades for the day.

This way when we open up to the public and we have many different style traders
they can choose which chat room is their style.

We can always start off with one room and see how that goes.

I have friends who would participate and give their picks threw out the day.

I also am willing to manage any responsibilities that the chat room might come with.

Let me know what's on your mind....

SK_
04-29-2009, 04:21 AM
Eh, YES! I wanna view how the master minds work online XD

Speedjunki
04-29-2009, 04:39 AM
It would be nice to have an instant communication on NOW things.

AndyB
04-29-2009, 05:35 AM
Yes definitely. A chat room would make this site 1st class (of course, it is already ;) and would attract a LOT more users.

However - make sure the chat is not too good and/or invasive on the screen. If it is, Miles you rightly point out it will detract from the forums.

Some good chat modules popup in the bottom right and just sit there (facebook style) or you could like you said have a day-trade chat room.

BTW be careful of loading on your site with a chat module. What do you use for web hosting? If you start to get thousands of users using a chat module then don't be surprised if your web host boots you off (I'm a software engineer, but don't primarily work with web development)

Temujin
04-29-2009, 05:42 AM
Yes Miles i think that would be fantastic, totally agree with aburnett, be good to have the chat window sitting in say the bottom left hand corner and constanlty avaliable yet not to intrusive and distruptive from the whole website as such.

Im sure with your fantastic web design skills you will come up with a fantastic soloution.

AndyB
04-29-2009, 05:49 AM
Alternatively a bigger chat feature (for instance Parachat, or Flashcoms) would be good for day traders.

I often day-trade the S&P500 and the Dow but not stocks.

Cedar136
04-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Miles what a great idea! I have visited other chat rooms and I have noticed that some have problems with etiquette in the chat room. For example no cussing, no capitals (that is seen as yelling).
I think a set of rules just for the chat would be nice that way you could direct anyone who needs it to go back and read them.
Something else I just thought of was how would we be aware of someone pumping a stock? I know we should do our own research but someone may push a stock in a pushy way trying to get others to buy so they can sell.

Just some thoughts. I do really like the chat idea. So far though I have been reading everything here already trying to learn as much as I can.

To all who developed this site once again thank you very much!

VicVan
04-29-2009, 09:27 AM
deleted

VicVan
04-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Ah heck - sorry I opened the post and though Coffee was the only one posting. I delete the old one - but basically emailed Miles as Day traders need live news, live chat, MSN - and yeah it will clean up some of teh c*** and when people post, they post with more info etc

Agree on the parameters of over 100 - unless by special request by a moderator. Maybe they can see it, but cant post AKA ghosted

PS coffee = Latte' = Lattes

Jon
04-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Not sure if this is possible. but a Instant messageing system on here like facebook would be cool too! just a suggestion!

ychamb
04-30-2009, 04:27 AM
To piggy back off of Vic's suggestions... We could also have a live personal quote tracker on top where the user could place there own quotes during trading, so they wouldn't have to leave the site.. [bull]

Jon
04-30-2009, 09:41 AM
To piggy back off of Vic's suggestions... We could also have a live personal quote tracker on top where the user could place there own quotes during trading, so they wouldn't have to leave the site.. [bull]

this would be way cool. real time too!!!

bhcfinance
04-30-2009, 01:25 PM
I like Mendy's idea of the two chat rooms.

Andrew
04-30-2009, 02:58 PM
I also think this would be a great resource. Especially for those of us who trade during work. It would help me communicate faster and more instead of posting to each board.

spanbox
05-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Thats a great idea as it will help with off topic questions and not clog the main boards.It will also provide an area where silly questions can be answered without everyone thinking your an idiot.
Spanbox

trants
05-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Thats a great idea as it will help with off topic questions and not clog the main boards.It will also provide an area where silly questions can be answered without everyone thinking your an idiot.
Spanbox

Oh no, we can still think someone asking that silly question the idiot Spanbox, LOLOLOLOL

Sorry, just couldn't resist! He he... Just kidding and having a bit if fun!

[bull]

spanbox
05-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the response!!!
I like your sense of humour, no offence taken!
Dont worry I will have a good Day!
Spanbox

Cedar136
05-01-2009, 03:53 PM
There are not silly or dumb questions. If we ask questions we learn, we move forward, and we grow.
If we help each other as a group we become stronger.
If we ask silly questions at first the next questions get smarter.
I could go on but my class just came in. Got to go.:-)

trants
05-01-2009, 04:00 PM
There are not silly or dumb questions. If we ask questions we learn, we move forward, and we grow.
If we help each other as a group we become stronger.
If we ask silly questions at first the next questions get smarter.
I could go on but my class just came in. Got to go.:-)

You are correct Cedar, but we still want to have fun! :-P

We encourage ALL QUESTIONS we will not ridicule you, that is what this forums are for, is helping everyone!

Just expect a few of us having sense of humor too! We will tell you when that is if your English! lololololol (Ha, English, Get it Vic?? ) LOLOLOL

[bull]

VicVan
05-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Defo all for a chat feature - and asap
I just logged on so 10.30pm UK time - basically want to brag and boast about some sweet tips in the week ;o) nah mainly to touch base and have a sort of weekly round up chat on both UK and USA. Weekends would be a good time to take time out, see the week, and prepare for the next

Been a good few months for me so far so small caps, been out of the heavy US shares for a while. as that bear still aint coming. With bonds coming down, hell, maybe all the s*** I was reading was way off the mark. Will see

But anyway - yeah chat, two chats, all the extra things suggested - all good

VIC

VicVan
05-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Lattes are you saying your named after a drink for poofters? lol
just breaking you balls coffee

Hey - the Las Vegas confernece is defo way over due - meet in the LVS - it has to be!!!

Miles - do you want some donations for ther server? Hell you paid for it all?

piccooar
05-03-2009, 04:27 PM
I love the idea of a chat room! Would be fun to see the great minds at work in real time!

VicVan
05-05-2009, 01:28 PM
That chat room is definatly a good call - found it hard today to shout some screaming buys on the UK side / communcate quickly on various stocks that were ramping up

For day trades / quick trades would be a strong asset to the site

Massive day again - whole thing (markets) is goning nuts

NYPharmer1
05-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Miles - although a new member i have a couple of thoughts on this matter:

1) if this IS only a test run, see how it functions with people's dealings with eachother. Some traders like to short stocks while others like to go long - so the end product turns to be a nasty exchange (no pun intended) - it would be worth the pull if it's not civil.

2) consider having chat forums for common interest stocks? would that overload your servers? ie: i am a person who likes the fertilizer stocks, i'd be more prone to discuss it with others with the same interest. Same goes for Penny stocks etc...Can a chat box be present per sector? i guess?

these are just a few ideas, but im psyched to share as they come to mind. Good Luck with your debut!

GLTA!!

trants
05-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Miles - although a new member i have a couple of thoughts on this matter:

1) if this IS only a test run, see how it functions with people's dealings with eachother. Some traders like to short stocks while others like to go long - so the end product turns to be a nasty exchange (no pun intended) - it would be worth the pull if it's not civil.

2) consider having chat forums for common interest stocks? would that overload your servers? ie: i am a person who likes the fertilizer stocks, i'd be more prone to discuss it with others with the same interest. Same goes for Penny stocks etc...Can a chat box be present per sector? i guess?

these are just a few ideas, but im psyched to share as they come to mind. Good Luck with your debut!

GLTA!!

Hey Pharmer,

Welcome to the board.

I am not criticizing your ideas. We are trying to keep this a Shall we say "Idealistic" site. So the deterioration of the discussions to name calling will never happen more than once with any one person.

This is the foundation stone upon which we stand "United" This forum is all about CIVIL discussion and disagreements.

The idea of individual BULL and BEAR ROOMS "if I can use the term" is just fine but I would tend to think it would hinder the optimum purpose of this forum. So this tire may need some kicking.

Please allow me to explain. If we do not get back feedback contrary to our personal views, I (We) just have an unchecked runaway train. The greatest benefit we have is the ability to find an error in our perception.

Now a Bull lounge and a Bear lounge may be used in some other manor but frankly like minds would get boring real soon, You all think alike and ergo, have the same thing to say, He He.. Or at least I could bore you to death!

But sector interests have merit. Tell me, do you think anyone would get lost within a sector forum and miss out on the fast pick recommendations that do get disseminated to the group? Now just my personal experience you don't really want to only focus on just one sector for investment, never works out well for the long run.

Just a thought? I would love to hear some more opinions on these particulars.

IsDangerous
05-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Has this been implemented yet? I dont see it anywhere.

Miles
05-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Not yet but I have rented a server in NYC to facilitate it. IRC or Jabber are the best 2 options. Give me some time to set this up please =)

SK_
05-10-2009, 02:36 AM
Trants -

BEARS vs BULLS:
My vote is for keeping both bear and bull in the same arena. As a relatively new trader, information posted that contradicts or reveals potential weak spots in various discussions is profoundly informative. Prior to placing trades, I frequently access multiple discussion boards for check/balance of my understanding. StockRants now rates above all others because you guys literally teach me how to research, filter BS and I don't have to worry about being so gullible w/pump and dumps.

Separating bearish from bullish comments would only obscure the potential down side of investments. Like, who needs that?

INDIVIDUAL SECTOR AREAS:
Suggestion - please keep threads as flowing w/out categorically separating into sectors. However, is there any chance you could implement a feature that could automatically categorize individual threads into sectors for those who wish to view accordingly? For instance, I often look for oil or pharmaceuticals, but am unable to ascertain via subject line on individual threads. We have a feature to enter w/"prefix" (buy, sell, etc.) Could we also have a sub-text of sector for each stock pick thread?

AND ANOTHER...
This site is becoming more and more diverse - a magnificent thing to behold! However, threads posted for the London or Canadian stock exchange usually don't interest me. When entering a suggestion for a stock pic, can we identify WHICH STOCK EXCHANGE the symbol is traded? This also helps in consideration for extended hour trading.

SK

NYPharmer1
05-11-2009, 04:37 AM
Hey Trants,

Thanks for the response. Great work you guys are doing on the site - keep it up. I understand your take on individual sectors - My post was geared towards all sectors. I agree in regards to diversity of B-Vs-B mentality in which one can be more 'enlightened' by another's knowledge of a particular stock/sector. Now, you're question posted @ the end in regards to 'fast pick recommendations' and dissemination thereof - to be honest; in chat forums fast picks is the name of the game - in the forums is where one can disseminate the information with all the pros/cons conceivable. Hope that helps.

Also, consider adding a Soros corner, Buffet corner, Meredith Whitney corner & and the Fundamentals of stocks corner.

I wonder if "The Intelligent Investor" is Free - Actually look - i did some research and found the whole text on Google Books - Here's the link consider it a good reference for the site ..

The Intelligent Investor: The ... - Google Book Search (http://books.google.com/books?id=OyIuzr8dmfQC&dq=the+intelligent+investor&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en#PPR12,M1)

Please excuse me if i overstep any boundaries.

NYPharmer1

GLTA!

Daytrader
05-16-2009, 11:32 AM
irc is the best, i just joined chat channel with mirc for pc users, been useing it 10 years or more now, cheers

McMil
05-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Oh absolutely...:-P

JonW
05-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Oh absolutely...:-P

McMil - TWO WORDS - make a note of that people, it may never happen again!!!!

XD

chuckd
05-20-2009, 06:22 PM
McMil - TWO WORDS - make a note of that people, it may never happen again!!!!

XD

Noted, he must have been interrupted by the dancing girls

at the "retirement home" heheXD

SammyP
12-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Yoooo my stock brethren whats poppin! I'm just tryna get a peace of mind and figure out why I can't vote yes on this! I'm tryna chat with some broskis and talk about buying tonka trucks with nutsacks in em ! WOoooooohoooo

Mendy
12-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Miles,

I think its really good for us to have a chat room.
It gives short term traders another area to hang out.
I was thinking though if its possible we should maybe have 2 chat rooms.
One for Scalp trades and one for long trades for the day.

This way when we open up to the public and we have many different style traders
they can choose which chat room is their style.

We can always start off with one room and see how that goes.

I have friends who would participate and give their picks threw out the day.

I also am willing to manage any responsibilities that the chat room might come with.

Let me know what's on your mind....

Have not been active on this forum in years and good to see its still alive. I was part of the original crew. Anyone else out there?